DFW to MFW before 40?

Replies

• BetharooniBetharooni Forumite
    348 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi

Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with the fireworks - there’s just no let-up in them this evening? They were being set off all yesterday evening as well round where I live. Am feeling so sorry for all the veterans and animals that are suffering through this.

Hope anyone reading this is ok. I’m feeling better than I was last time I updated. I’m still in pain, but it’s at a more manageable level at the moment. In the hospital appointment I had, I was put on more preventative medication for my migraines and have been referred to the pain management team for an occipital nerve block. Still waiting on that, but hoping I might get an appointment soon 😕

I’ve had a good few weeks finance-wise. I’ve sold a couple more bits on Facebook Marketplace, sent another parcel off to Ziffit and had another payout from Prolific. I’ve been taking part in the Save £12K in 2020 challenge, with a target of saving £15K and, including money I’ve saved this month that I haven’t yet declared on the group, I’ve hit this target, which I’m blown away by because back last December when I set the target I didn’t think it would be possible to reach it. Admittedly, reduced expenses due to working from home because of COVID have very much helped and I’m very aware of how lucky I am that I’ve not been furloughed and that I am able to work from home. I’m still proud that I have not just frittered the money I’ve had due to this reduced expenditure and have saved it and am a step closer to my financial goals because of it.

We’re obviously now in Lockdown 2.0 but, to be honest, it doesn’t really feel like we’ve been fully out of the first lockdown. My mum, brother and I have continued to be very careful, have been to visit family a handful of times, avoided going out more than we have to and socially distanced from others almost to the point of rudeness 😂 so this next four weeks is not going to be massively different from what we have been doing. 

I’m on annual leave next week and I’m planning a very cheap week off. I’m hoping to get a load of cleaning and decluttering done throughout the house. Having seen it mentioned on the Small Things thread, I’ve been reading about the Organised Mum Method (TOMM). I’ve already started trying to incorporate level 1 jobs into my daily routine but need to do the “Clutter Buster” and “Messy House Boot Camp” so figured my week off would be the perfect time to do that. Other than that I’ve got plenty of crafting to do, Xmas presents to wrap, studying to do, computer work and gardening (if it stays dry for a couple of days) as well as watching the Masters golf on TV from next Thursday to Sunday. Hoping that it will be a productive and enjoyable week.

B x
    Save £15K in 2021 #13 £ £13,518.67/£15,000 / £17,032.87 saved in 2020
    Make £2021 in 2021 #2 £1,162.46/£2.021 / £1,897.24 made in 2020
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund £2,550.32/£5,000
    348 Posts
    ✭✭
    Only just over a week between posts - I must be improving 😂😂

Last week was an ok week. Been trying to clear up around the house, but don’t really feel like I’m getting anywhere at the moment. Trying to keep on top of the kitchen in particular but with three adults in the house it can be a bit of a challenge. Will just have to keep working at it I think.

Finances are looking ok. Not got much left in the bank but not really got anything to pay out for between now and the end of the month. I did splurge on one thing over the weekend, which was a Beauty and the Beast cross-stitch. I love Beauty and the Beast and I had sufficient money in my ‘Hobbies, Holidays and Days Out’ savings account to cover it. I had been considering it for a while and still really wanted it, so it was actually a considered purchase. Am really looking forward to receiving it now.

I’m on annual leave for today, so will have a go at doing as many jobs around the house as I can, and will be back working from tomorrow. The dosage of one of my tablets has been increased so feeling a little spaced out at the moment...should be an interesting week.

Will sign off now and get some stuff done - wish me luck.

B x
  • SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Well done on saving so much this year. I too like you have been able to work through all of this at home. Although have to say I do miss my mileage payments I got from work when was out and about before. Its such a nice feeling owning your own place and good habit to get into living in a budget for when that happens. I good you get your migraines sorted out. Sounds like they are trying to get to bottom of it for you. 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - £0.00
    *Finance - £581.91 - £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £3600
    Total debt *£3600* £11,416.71

Emergency fund/Sinking Fund - £2500/£5000

Mortgage Overpayment - £30.34/£1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
    348 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi and thanks @Sarahwithlove

This week has been OK, went back to work after annual leave and it was pretty much non-stop for the rest of the week. Today has been pretty good though - I’ve signed up for a handful of Zooms across the weekend, all about reducing food waste and preserving and had the first two this morning and early this afternoon. They were about foraging and preserving and were really interesting - I can’t wait to have a go at a couple of the recipes. Beyond those, I’ve spent the rest of the time catching up on chores and I’m hoping for a reasonably quiet evening trying to clear some programmes on our Sky Q box and getting on with my knitting - I’m making a jumper for my Mum at the moment. Tomorrow I’ve got another three of the Zooms, as well as a family Zoom with my brothers and their families, more cleaning and tidying and I’ll be making a kedgeree risotto for dinner. It’s  one of my favourite recipes to make, which I got from a Slimming World magazine from a couple of years ago.

B x
    348 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi

This week has been reasonably OK. Busy at work, but when isn’t it. I’m trying to embed the level 1 TOMM jobs and do as many of the level 2 jobs as I can - I need to give some places a thorough scrub still and then maintaining them weekly shouldn’t take quite so long.

I made a sourdough starter last weekend and have been stirring it when I think about it, but found bits of mould in it so having to bin it and will see about starting it again this weekend. 

Payday on Monday so most of my bills will go out on Tuesday. I’m not expecting to pay out much during the month as I’m in Gillingham in Kent, which has one of the highest levels of COVID at the moment so we’re in tier 3 so, other than going food shopping and dropping Xmas cards and presents off, I doubt we’ll do much more during December. Christmas looks set to just be me, my mum and brother as one of my other brothers is going to Ireland with his partner and two daughters (his partner comes from Ireland and they spend Xmas there every year) and I’m assuming that my other brother, his wife and their son and daughter will spend Xmas with her parents and her sister and family, which means we won’t get to see them on Xmas day like normal (they usually come over for a couple of hours to exchange gifts and so we can see the kids). I have a couple of weeks off over Xmas and New Years and can’t wait for that to come round.

Health-wise I’m plodding on. Still suffering with my head with minimal let-up but trying to just push on through. I’m still waiting for an appointment with the Pain Management team, but assuming with the crazy high COVID levels here at the moment, the appointment won’t be forthcoming. I got a letter saying I was entitled to a free flu jab so got that yesterday.

This weekend I’m planning to blitz the kitchen and bathroom, as well as doing some food shopping at some point. Wish me luck...

B x
  • Hi Beth, l'm near Faversham *waves* the number of infected people around here is scary. 

What a pain about the sourdough starter. Hiw do you make it?
    Total unsecured debt January 2020: £36k current £15268

348 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi @DayDreamerandGeneralWaster *waves*

Yes figures in North Kent seem to be rising whereas a lot of other places are falling. It’s very scary at the moment, I don’t know about you but I feel nervous just leaving the house - so many other people don’t seem to care 😢😢

I used 50g flour (mixture of while and brown) and 50mls water in a jar with a lid, and you need to stir it whenever you remember. After a few days it should start smelling like sweaty feet and there should be air bubbles, then you start feeding it and can’t start using it to make sourdough bread. I went on a Zoom with the Zero Waste Chef about creating the sourdough starter a couple of weeks ago so I’m using her advice. I suspect I didn’t stir it enough and the place I had it was too warm. Will try again though and hope it goes better second time round.

B x
  • We are being very cautious too. It's not worth the risk.

Sounds quite straightforward! Tempted to give to give this a go, thank you! 
    Total unsecured debt January 2020: £36k current £15268

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My DH makes sourdough and he used the Bake with Jack website to make his starter.  He had to start 2 or 3 times before getting a good starter going.  His current starter has been going about 18 months now and just sits in the fridge in between making loaves.

I'm another in North Kent and agree some people just don't seem to care.  The number of people going into shops without face coverings really annoys me so I only go when I need to.  I have a hospital appointment at Medway next week and really not looking forward to it but all I can do is just go and hope for the best - at least everyone there should be wearing a face covering!

348 Posts
    ✭✭
    @DayDreamerandGeneralWaster let us know as/when you manage to get a starter going. It feels a little bit like magic or alchemy, essentially making yeast from the air 😱

Hi @joedenise *waves*. I’m surprised they’re letting you have a face-to-face appointment at Medway Hospital with the spike of cases around here. Keep safe. Wave as you go past - I am about 5 minutes drive from the hospital, over near the station and football ground.

B x