NCB gone 🤬

Options
After some advice if anyone can help please
I have my classic mini insured with Lancaster classic car insurance and I’ve just had my renewal through and it’s double what last year was.
Rung them up and they have told me I’ve lost my 3 years no claims , which I’ve accrued with them
Apparently they don’t carry over no claims bonus so you loose them
Anyone else had this issue / can help ?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Classic policies don't accrue or use NCB. Never have.

And, yes, NCB "dies" if unused for two years.

There's plenty of other classic insurers out there. Don't ever just blindly renew, whatever the type of policy.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2020 at 5:08PM
    Options
    Gidged500 wrote: »
    After some advice if anyone can help please
    I have my classic mini insured with Lancaster classic car insurance and I’ve just had my renewal through and it’s double what last year was.
    Rung them up and they have told me I’ve lost my 3 years no claims , which I’ve accrued with them
    Apparently they don’t carry over no claims bonus so you loose them
    Anyone else had this issue / can help ?

I've held "Classic" insurance on my Morris Minor for 20+ years and, as Adrian quite correctly writes, it does not accrue any NCD whatsoever. It is insured with Lancaster at the moment, as it was last year. Their renewal quote was silly, as O.P.'s almost double, phoned them up and without any hesitation I was offered a further year at the same premium.
    Just to add, I also owned a Morris 1000 Traveller previously and decided a more modern car more sensible (and comfortable) as a daily driver. The insurer I used for the newer car did give me full NCD because I gave them a letter confirming no claims on the Classic Ins. had been made for the years I held it. I wonder if Lancaster are suggesting something similar rather than actual NCD but years without a claim off them?

"There's plenty of other classic insurers out there. Don't ever just blindly renew, whatever the type of policy" Exactly. That's what prompted Lancaster to review their renewal offer.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Classic policies don't accrue or use NCB. Never have.

And, yes, NCB "dies" if unused for two years.

There's plenty of other classic insurers out there. Don't ever just blindly renew, whatever the type of policy.

Lancaster did once, maybe it was a mistake though?

I had a classic mini insured with them (about 30 years ago). One of the terms was that it was garaged and you had some no claims discount on a daily car. When the paperwork arrived it stated 6 years no claims had been applied. Didn't think anything about it at the time.

Sold car cancelled insurance. A couple of years later I received a letter regarding an error with the no claims. Not being insured with them thought so what and just binned the letter and didnt bother to contact them.

Seems some people took that letter to other insurers and instantly got 6 years no claims for their modern vehicle.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• oldagetraveller
    Options
    "Seems some people took that letter to other insurers and instantly got 6 years no claims for their modern vehicle."
    If that refers to my posting, then no, that was not the case. Note, I didn't write that NCD had been applied by Lancaster, but the new insurer. I asked Lancaster for a letter stating the number of years without claiming on their policy.
    "I gave them a letter confirming no claims on the Classic Ins." No reference to NCD there, only no claims, no "D", just "NC".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure