How much can I offer debt collectors?

Options
grumpyoldmansom
grumpyoldmansom Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 28 January 2020 at 11:30PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi - first post so thank you for any assistance/advice

Without boring you with the details I have myself in a situation where 2 credit card debts approx £15k each have been transferred to debt collectors (Hoist and PRA)

For a variety of reasons no payments have been made for some time and I am getting surprisingly little chasing from them - no CCJs. Just regular letters and emails asking me to pay the debt off or make an offer.

My life has now turned around and I am moving forward and earning fairly good money and I want to start to clear these amounts by making weekly payments over a max term of 3 years. To clear in full this would need to be approx £200 per week which is not achieveable

However, they keep asking me to make an offer to settle. Does anyone have any experience of what percentage they would normally look for and would they accept an instalment plan?
e.g. I would like to go back to them and ask them to confirm acceptance to 75% paid by equal instalment over 3 years.

Is this the sort of thing they would normally agree to or when accepting a reduced settlement are they looking for immediate payment in full? Would they normally accept a lower %?

Many thanks

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family