»

1st floor flat keeping the view but adding privacy - curtains/shutters

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

1st floor flat keeping the view but adding privacy - curtains/shutters

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
4 replies 517 views
ypapandrypapandr Forumite
35 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
We are on a first floor flat with huge windows and a nice view. We want to add privacy and have been recommended cafe style shutters. We don’t think this would work because they would still block the view and we wouldn’t be able to open them (the sofa is against the window). Roman blinds might not work either because of the sofa and the heater being below the windows. Any ideas? I am thinking to just put some buxus on the small balcony outside to block the viewing angle from the street:D

Replies

• coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obscure (e.g. frosted) film up to shoulder level might work well. Leaving a small clear margin around the edge can make it look more attractive.
  • DoxDox Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check what your lease/tenancy agreement says about altering the appearance of the outside e.g. if you are in a conservation area, you are going to have extremely limited options. Assuming there are no restrictions, one way glass might be an option. Roman blinds would surely block the view when closed, but a Venetian blind with narrow slats would look modern and non-intrusive and the slats can be angled to give privacy when your room is viewed from below, but you would still have the benefit of the view.
  • I got some really good roller blinds from Ikea. They let the light in and you can see out through them but in most lights people can't see in
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Net curtains are good for daytime, but of course not with the light on!