Old coins

Options
Hi
I don't know if this is the right place please redirect me if it isn't.
I have a number of sixpences, threpences and penny coins pre decimilation. What is the best way of getting the best return from them? Ive looked at ebay job lot and don't trust the internet so if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate it.
Kind regards
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The best way to get the best return would be to use the internet.

Beyond that, you can try auction houses or local classifieds if they still do them. You could look through the yellow pages for local coin and medal collectors.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has anyone used any particular sites. Thank you.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are a number of Facebook groups dedicated to Coin Collecting. Find some of them, and post pictures of what you have. (read the rules of the group you are posting on first - some require the photo to have your name and the date clearly shown in the photo).
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have no idea but are they worth much ? If not donate them to a charity.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless they are uncirculated or in as new condition or an especially rare year they are probably of little value.

Link to coin values

https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/uk-coin-values---1801-to-1967.html
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy old coins for craft work for a group I occasionally support - I rarely pay more than 5p or so per coin, less for old pennies - and if buying in bulk many places actually sell by weight and they can work out even cheaper.

Depending on how many you have OP they might not even be worth the effort of listing them anywhere especially as you would be looking for local pick up sales only.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure