Leap Year Birthday Offers

New Post Advanced Search

Leap Year Birthday Offers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
4 replies 970 views
j9apachej9apache Forumite
11 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Campaigns Corner
Not sure this is the place to post this, but...

My daughter is a leap year baby (2004). I have joined a couple of Facebook pages for Leaplings, most of which are based in the US (although I have found one in the UK).

All the US sites post about companies giving either offers/discounts/freebies for those that are born on 29th February. However, I have never seen anything over the years for Leap Year Birthdays here in the UK. Some companies have given offers of free food or drink if say you name was greg or bob, heck they even did some thing for the royal baby names. In the US they seem to go big on 29th February but not in the UK.

You may think, so what its just another day, but leaplings face problems legally too as some companies do not even recognise 29th February even when it is a leap year.

I want to say, lets celebrate all those who have a birth date of 29th February. It also amazes me how many of the students at my daughters school can not grasp or understand what a leap year is.

So come on Retail/restuarants/entertainment businesses, put a smile on the face of a leapling and make their day extra special, just think of the good publicity.
:T

Replies

• NaomiT29NaomiT29 Forumite
    1 posts
    I'm a Leap Year baby too and I have seen a few deals over the years. The best one I have ever personally taken advantage of was last Leap Year (2016) Majestic Wines were offering a free bottle of champagne to anyone who could prove they were a Leap Year Baby when they bought any six bottles in store (which is their standard running mix 6 discount offer). I thought it was going to be a little half bottle of something cheap, but it was a full bottle of Veuve Cliquot!! A couple of years ago the Disney Store also had a one day Unbirthday promotion where the 3 worst birthdays as voted for by their subscribers could go in store and choose a free gift, which was anything up to the value of £15! Of course Feb 29th was on the list so I got a lovely Chip mug out of that one and an Alice in Wonderland Unbirthday card!

Other than that I've seen a couple of small restaurant offers and stuff like that but most deals seem to be general 'because it's the Leap Year we're doing x on offer for just £29!' rather than offers specifically for people actually born on the Leap Year. You're also bang on the money with the administrative and legal difficulties that can be a result of being born on Feb 29th, quite apart from the obvious not *actually* having a birthday every year. Turning 18 was confusing about when I could legally celebrate, there was also a small amount of inheritance from my Grandparents that was released to each Grandchild when they turned 25, so the investment firm actually weren't sure what to do about it and in the end had to do it on March 1st because I legally wasn't 25 yet on Feb 28th! Computer systems seem to get so confused over it too, my Boots Contact Lens Scheme profile seems to refuse to accept Feb 29th, as does my Starbucks account! It can be really frustrating. So yes, more special offers exclusively for Leap Year Babies please!
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    44K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    j9apache wrote: »

So come on Retail/restuarants/entertainment businesses, put a smile on the face of a leapling and make their day extra special, just think of the good publicity.
    :T

And the benefit to them from potentially alienating the vast majority of their customers by excluding them from a promotion being run for less than 1 in 1450 people is?

Might not alienate them but is no encouragement for them to use the product/service on offer

• j9apachej9apache Forumite
    11 posts
    NaomiT29 wrote: »
    I'm a Leap Year baby too and I have seen a few deals over the years. The best one I have ever personally taken advantage of was last Leap Year (2016) Majestic Wines were offering a free bottle of champagne to anyone who could prove they were a Leap Year Baby when they bought any six bottles in store (which is their standard running mix 6 discount offer). I thought it was going to be a little half bottle of something cheap, but it was a full bottle of Veuve Cliquot!! A couple of years ago the Disney Store also had a one day Unbirthday promotion where the 3 worst birthdays as voted for by their subscribers could go in store and choose a free gift, which was anything up to the value of £15! Of course Feb 29th was on the list so I got a lovely Chip mug out of that one and an Alice in Wonderland Unbirthday card!

Other than that I've seen a couple of small restaurant offers and stuff like that but most deals seem to be general 'because it's the Leap Year we're doing x on offer for just £29!' rather than offers specifically for people actually born on the Leap Year. You're also bang on the money with the administrative and legal difficulties that can be a result of being born on Feb 29th, quite apart from the obvious not *actually* having a birthday every year. Turning 18 was confusing about when I could legally celebrate, there was also a small amount of inheritance from my Grandparents that was released to each Grandchild when they turned 25, so the investment firm actually weren't sure what to do about it and in the end had to do it on March 1st because I legally wasn't 25 yet on Feb 28th! Computer systems seem to get so confused over it too, my Boots Contact Lens Scheme profile seems to refuse to accept Feb 29th, as does my Starbucks account! It can be really frustrating. So yes, more special offers exclusively for Leap Year Babies please!

Thank you at least someone gets where I am coming from. Will see if disney do something this year. My daughter will be 16 (4) so the wine thing would not have been any good, but hey at they did something.
  • j9apachej9apache Forumite
    11 posts
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    And the benefit to them from potentially alienating the vast majority of their customers by excluding them from a promotion being run for less than 1 in 1450 people is?

Might not alienate them but is no encouragement for them to use the product/service on offer

And by companies doing promos if you had the same name as a royal baby could of potentially alienated a lot more than 1 in 1461. I think you are missing the point. Leap year birthdays are in the main (by those not born on the 29th) seen as unfortunate. Why not flip it on its head and make it something special.