»

Not exactly money saving - but ...

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Not exactly money saving - but ...

edited 26 January at 5:24AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
1 reply 391 views
Retired_SaverRetired_Saver
17 posts
Forumite
10 Posts on the forum First post on the forum Disabled
edited 26 January at 5:24AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
This is not exactly money saving - but I am trying not to buy a book on English grammar.

It is about English grammar and a young relative has floored me by asking (thinking I'd be sure to know!) and now I really am confused - so many search results seem to be U.S. English rather than U.K.English.

Should we say (in an essay for example) that: "*The the policy is different from the practiCe - as in practice as a noun - or should it be the policy is different from the practiSe - as in a verb? In some places the work policy is good but the staff practice is different, really questionable and not good. We went on to discuss what was described as formal and informal structures in business ? or formal and informal practices/practises/policies. Daft, I know, but it's driving me a bit round the bend and is beyond me!

We could get our heads round, for example: "We understand the way the staff practise new techniques in the GP Practice." ..... but then I searched for other examples and got lost.

If anyone knows or can say as above* - should it be 'The policy is different from the practice or the policy is different from the practise?' - thank you very much. Although it is boggling my mind, it is good that a youngster wants to get the grammar right for the essay. Spellcheck does not seem to pick it up in my ancient copy of Microsoft Word - U.K. English.

Thank you very much.

Retired Saver

Replies

• sarah1972sarah1972
    15.9K posts
    Forumite, Board Guide
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Photogenic 5 year MSEversary! Disabled
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not exactly money saving - but I am trying not to buy a book on English grammar.

It is about English grammar and a young relative has floored me by asking (thinking I'd be sure to know!) and now I really am confused - so many search results seem to be U.S. English rather than U.K.English.

Should we say (in an essay for example) that: "*The the policy is different from the practiCe - as in practice as a noun - or should it be the policy is different from the practiSe - as in a verb? In some places the work policy is good but the staff practice is different, really questionable and not good. We went on to discuss what was described as formal and informal structures in business ? or formal and informal practices/practises/policies. Daft, I know, but it's driving me a bit round the bend and is beyond me!

We could get our heads round, for example: "We understand the way the staff practise new techniques in the GP Practice." ..... but then I searched for other examples and got lost.

If anyone knows or can say as above* - should it be 'The policy is different from the practice or the policy is different from the practise?' - thank you very much. Although it is boggling my mind, it is good that a youngster wants to get the grammar right for the essay. Spellcheck does not seem to pick it up in my ancient copy of Microsoft Word - U.K. English.

Thank you very much.

Retired Saver

Lots of results on google, most common one is:

The word is always spelled practice in American English. In British English, the noun form is also spelled practice. The word is spelled practise when used as a verb in British English
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com