New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

DAS help

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
5 replies 507 views
anon24anon24
6 posts
Forumite
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Hey guys. I hope I’ve posted in the correct forum. Apologies if I haven’t. Long story short, hubby and I are applying for the Debt Arrangement Scheme in Scotland. We have a lot of debts and the discussed proposals would save us so much money every month and also clear our creditors in just over 6 years. This is like a dream come true to see a light. Now for the kicker!!! I have stupidly let a gambling habit creep in that got a little out of hand. Never on credit cards, that’s not what’s run them up. But there is a lot of transactions on our bank statements for betting sites over the last few months. I have not gambled in nearly a week (that doesn’t sound much but believe me it is) and I am committed to getting any help necessary to over come this problem. There’s no massive debits coming off but a lot of £10 transactions which all add up. I have been completely honest with the company dealing with the application and I have sent all bank statements in. The problem is she seemed to get quite doubtful after I told her about it. One minute she is asking for loads of documents, the next just the bank statements to review and get back to me on Monday. It would have to be Friday now with a whole weekend to wait. I am now terrified we won’t stand a chance of getting this DAS because of me and my stupidity. I am sick with worry about it. My question really is has anyone had experience of this or know anything about it to give me some more information. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Hi anon24,

I have to be straight with you - gambling especially if out of control could well affect your DAS application, hence her reaction. You at least acknowledged this mistake and if you stop gambling immediately and take action to at least get it under control you may be ok to get your application back on track.

Try to not worry about timing of DAS application - it often takes at least a few weeks if not a couple of months - at least it did when I started back in 2015. The DAS administrator has to work with your agent to review paperwork, assess whether its fair or not on creditors which takes time. Be patient. And even if it is refused - you can probably appeal or re-apply at a later date.

Questions though - why are you using a company? Are you paying them a lot of money? Some local authorities will set-it up for you for free - have checked? If not maybe Cit Advice or similar?

Good luck
  • anon24anon24
    6 posts
    Forumite
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I am tying myself up in knots about it. I have now closed all the online accounts which is where I was using it. Never in my life have I set foot in a bookies and I can’t see that changing anytime soon!! I have taken screen shots of all the accounts that have closed and I have made sure they are closed indefinitely in the way you close them so you can’t re open them if that makes sense! I know some ways people close and just re open. I made sure it was the self exclusion way that you can’t re open. I am completely committed to making this work. Looking at it logically, the two were always linked. The longer I couldn’t find a job, the more I panicked about debt, and so the more I gambled to try and get a quick fix. Now I see it with more logical eyes, I see that was a vicious cycle to get into. I have finally managed to get a good job and I would say that has focused me so much more. And I guess dragged me out of the hole I was in. Hiding away, not facing up to things, and generally just being blind to everything in the vain hope I could gamble us out of debt!! I wonder if she may say they will postpone it until I can provide betting clear bank statements. That’s fair enough as that is already happening since Monday, and I can guarantee it will continue to happen. I guess I’m more worried that she looks at them and says “no chance, and no chance of doing in the future either. That’s my worry, that this is my one chance blown so to speak. I have checked with the company and there is no charge for the DAS, which I would be making sure of again as well, just to be clear. Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.
  • coolcaitcoolcait
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Just so people know - no one has to pay for DAS nowadays. It doesn't matter which organisation sets it up for you - it's free for you.
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn
    5.5K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just dropping by as I wanted to say something about the gambling.

Did you know that the World Health Organisation considers gambling to be a mental health problem? Did you know that there is evidence supporting the theory that CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is an effective treatment for a gambling addiction.

In Scotland, it is possible to access CBT via a referral from your GP. So you would need to let your GP know about your gambling addiction so that they can make the referral for you. :)

Something for you to read:
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/15929.php
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

wiggle.gif
  • anon24anon24
    6 posts
    Forumite
    Thank you. Up until recently, I would not have made any connection with my gambling and any mental health issues. But since finally getting my job and looking at it with the good old benefit of hindsight, I realise I was down a very dark hole that in my head I thought gambling would fix!! I was in a really scary car accident last year and the job hunting was soul destroying. I couldn’t even tell you how many jobs I applied for. But I can tell you only a handful even acknowledged my application. I’m not making excuses or anything but I wasn’t in a good place mentally at all. I just hope somehow we can get things sorted and start to get back to some kind of life.