Solar PV and smart meters?yes or no

Hi
I have had a 4kw solar system for 5 years now without any serious issues so far. I have been offered a smart meter for my house. I just wondered whether anyone with solar PV system has had one of these fitted and whether they complement each other or should I best avoid until it becomes compulsary. Do these smart meters take into consideration the solar energy that is produced or not?

Thanks

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi
    I have had a 4kw solar system for 5 years now without any serious issues so far. I have been offered a smart meter for my house. I just wondered whether anyone with solar PV system has had one of these fitted and whether they complement each other or should I best avoid until it becomes compulsary. Do these smart meters take into consideration the solar energy that is produced or not?

Thanks

If you're exporting more than the deemed 50% it may be to your advantage to be paid for the metered export.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    1961Nick wrote: »
    If you're exporting more than the deemed 50% it may be to your advantage to be paid for the metered export.

I didn't think a standard smart meter is accepted by the utility companies for export. Don't they tend to use the excuse that it's not calibrated?

Others know better than me but isn't it also the case that the likes of bulb and octopus offer export tariffs but these are usually only beneficial to those who had installs after the FIT scheme ended. Others are unlikely to be better off and in addition FIT payments are certain whereas export tariffs are at the whim of the companies?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family