Forum Home» Loans

Unknown term on my loan account

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Unknown term on my loan account

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Loans
5 replies 813 views
maggie63maggie63 Forumite
6 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Loans
Please can anyone tell me what “c.off entry TNF” on my loan statement means? I’ve been in special measures with TSB due to having cancer and unable to meet my loan repayments.

Basically, repayments were suspended until I returned to work and could afford the repayments. Suddenly, my loan balance is 0, and the above is what the transaction says. I’ve had no communication from TSB regarding this, and it’s dated 27th November.

Thanks in advance. If I haven’t given enough info please ask.

Mags

Replies

• camelot1971camelot1971 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think your first place to ask would be TSB direct, as they are in the best place to know the answer. I imagine they are open tonight if you give them a call.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you describe, it looks like a charge off.

But you need to talk to them to confirm if it's been written off, or sold on.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    22K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most likely scenario is they have sold the account to a debt purchasing company, banks don’t bother managing delinquent credit accounts for very long, they normally cut their losses and sell on the debt.

They may have written the debt off, it’s a possibility, either way, they should write to you in the near future and inform you.

Calling them now may get you an incorrect answer, the call handler won’t know if it’s been sold or written off, as it will just show a zero balance on their systems, with no other explanation.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • maggie63maggie63 Forumite
    6 posts
    sourcrates wrote: »
    The most likely scenario is they have sold the account to a debt purchasing company, banks don’t bother managing delinquent credit accounts for very long, they normally cut their losses and sell on the debt.

They may have written the debt off, it’s a possibility, either way, they should write to you in the near future and inform you.

Calling them now may get you an incorrect answer, the call handler won’t know if it’s been sold or written off, as it will just show a zero balance on their systems, with no other explanation.

Thanks. But surely they would have to inform me in writing if they sold the debt on? I had an arrangement to resume payments when I started earning again. I haven’t had any communication from TSB since last September. Do you know what the TNF stands for?
  • boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    maggie63 wrote: »
    Thanks. But surely they would have to inform me in writing if they sold the debt on? I had an arrangement to resume payments when I started earning again. I haven’t had any communication from TSB since last September. Do you know what the TNF stands for?

Whoever bought the debt will likely tell you of that in due order.
    Give it a month or three.