New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Difficulty making payments

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
3 replies 556 views
Golden_Glow90Golden_Glow90 Forumite
83 posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
So while on maternity leave, I extended my mortgage term a little to save us some money on monthly payments. This was on the advice of a few people who work in the industry as they said if I took a mortgage break, it could affect me later if I needed to remortgage. Now I’m in a position where I can’t go back to work at the end of my 39 weeks and have to take the full year which puts us in a difficult position financially but now I’ve been told that because I extended my term, I’m not eligible for a mortgage break now. Anyone have any advice on where I can go from here? I’ve tried making savings wherever possible which has got us through to the end of my paid maternity leave but I hadn’t envisaged not being able to return to work for another 3 months (issues with my employer not sorting out my working pattern soon enough for me to arrange childcare).

Replies

• spadooshspadoosh Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive swapped nurseries twice, on both occasions she never missed a session (she went 3 times a week). Im amazed its taking 3 months for you to sort out childcare arrangements.

Id recommend putting up a SOA (statement of affairs) and give the good people on here an opportunity to go over your finances and make suggestions from there.

I think you got terrible advice from those people.
  • Golden_Glow90Golden_Glow90 Forumite
    83 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    It’s because I’d secured a nursery but I was waiting for my work to tell me which days I’d be working but they’ve been awful at sorting it out and since I need to give my nursery 8 weeks notice, I’ve had to push back my start date and get my trade union involved to get work sorted and they said it can take up to 3 months.
  • Jonathan_KelvinJonathan_Kelvin Forumite
    317 posts
    ✭✭
    Can you not find another nursery, or use a childminder or nanny?