Tracked at work

Options
Hi all, my Employer ( A very Large National organisation) Has issued several of us with a smartphone on whichwe will recieve jobs that need doing ect.
Thing is that the device also Tracks the person.
How does this sort of thing stand ??
Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,041 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    By tracks the person, I assume you mean it monitors the location of the phone? Sounds like the company are monitoring the location of their property, doubt it is illegal.

You could always turn that app off and see when they notice.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What’s the issue? Switch it off when not at work or on lunch break.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It sounds as if there is a legitimate business reason for tracking your location as it means they can allocate work to the nearest person. All you can do is inform the employer that you will be switching the tracking function off outside working hours.
  • Blatchford
    Options
    You aren't lying about where you are or what you are doing. So you have nothing to worry about.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jsacker wrote: »
    Could also be a GDPR concern if the data collected can identify an individual (the poster) and therefore be considered personal data.

thebullsback, could be worth speaking to the ICO for some guidance if that is your worry. Some fairly relevant advice from GOV as a starting point: here and here

No. It's no different to monitering a log in on a PC. It's not personal data when you're at work.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could also be a GDPR concern if the data collected can identify an individual (the poster) and therefore be considered personal data.

thebullsback, could be worth speaking to the ICO for some guidance if that is your worry. Some fairly relevant advice from GOV as a starting point: here and here

The links you've given relate to monitoring. Knowing where your staff are during working hours isn't the same thing.

OP, why are you bothered?
  • Blatchford
    Options

If the employer is tracking them - pretty much all technology can track people these days, but it doesn't mean that is what is happening- it is with their knowledge (the OP says it's tracking them) for business reasons during business hours. What exactly do you see as wrong with that? And where they are working, during working hours, is definitely not personal data! If they are working from the pub or their bedroom when they are supposed to be somewhere else, I think you'll find that isn't "personal data" but "evidence".
  • Blatchford
    Options
    If the PC log can identify me or you as an individual, how would that not be considered personal data?
    Because the definition of personal data isn't about simply identifying individuals but about legitimate ownership of the information. If you are working on your employers employer's computer then what you are doing is not your personal data. If you doubt that, download a load of !!!!!! and see how that works out for you.
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our housing association have trackers in their vans.. so the workers now sit outside the house for 2 hours after doing the job so it looks like they're still on the job.
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Employer is paying you too work, not skive, do your job and be where you are suppose too and nothing to worry about
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure