Forum Home» Loans

Early settlement penalty

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Early settlement penalty

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Loans
5 replies 605 views
MPEARSONMPEARSON Forumite
18 posts
Fourth Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Loans
Hello all,
Wondered if anyone can advise please.
I have a loan with an outstanding balance of £15k
I would like to settle this loan early. The loan agreement says that a penalty of 28 days interest will apply with an early settlement.
However another term of the agreement says that I will not be charged for overpayments.
So can I just make an overpayment of £14,900, with no penalty. Then wait a few days and pay settle the last £100 with the penalty being 28 days interest on the remaining £100?
Hope that makes sense!

Replies

• foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe make an overpayment of the balance less the next monthly payment.
  • BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It also depends what you means by 'outstanding balance' is that purely capital or does it include interest?
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    would make a payment of the current balance minus (a monthly payment +£10)
    once that payment has cleared ask for a settlement figure and pay it off
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment we are all guessing!
    The loan agreement will tell the OP what penalties are for early repayment AND how he can make overpayments and what happens as a result of the overpayment.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • edited 14 January 2020 at 10:08PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:08PM
    The idea of making a large overpayment and then subsequently making a request to settle the loan is a known method of reducing the early settlement penalty of x months interest charge and, although I have not done it, I believe that it works.
    lindens wrote: »
    would make a payment of the current balance minus (a monthly payment +£10)
    once that payment has cleared ask for a settlement figure and pay it off
    I think this will be ok although perhaps I would make a slightly lower payment and wait a little bit longer so as not to be too obvious.
    Perhaps before this months payment is due, make a payment of the balance less 2 months payments, allow this month's payment to go through then see what happens. I am assuming here that the balance you are seeing is the actual balance, not some sort of inflated balance including interest, and you are seeing the interest added and the payment deducted on a monthly basis.