New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Statute barred

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
17 replies 782 views
Symple_simonSymple_simon Forumite
12 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before, or even if I'm in the wrong place.
But I am after some advice, so here goes..
I received a letter before Christmas from the PRA Group about a debt they were trying to collect.
I didn't recognise the name of the company they were collecting for.
They were after a settlement figure of 10% of the amount they claim I owe.
Now my Experian score is 994, it shot up mid 2018 after some details came off, and I obtained a mortgage without any problem in late 2018, have nothing on my file now regards any debts and am unsure if this debt is legit.
Admittedly years ago I used to bury my head in the sand with financial matters. I honestly cannot recall engaging with them regards this debt.
Surely this is just a fishing trip by them as I imagine this is now statute barred?
My way of thinking is that if they had a genuine course of action then they would be after the full amount and not 10%?
I will email them the statute barred letter to see what happens, but any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks.

Replies