2020 - Clearing the debt the start of our journey to FIRE

Options

Comments

• Savingtomove
    Options
    Curry was a big success and I got 7 portions out of it!!
    Right we have done the payday shuffle and here are at the totals
    Family loan:  - 23,217.46/0
    Personal loan: -21,000/0
    Car loan: -320/320 - PAID!!
    Credit Card: -£5901.97/101.97
    Emergency fund: £2000/2000
    Wage in business: Up to July
    TOTAL (taking emergency fund off) MARCH - £48,439.43 
    NEW TOTAL for APRIL - £48,017.46
    PAID OFF - £421.97
  • Savingtomove
    Options
    We have also paid £365 off the personal loan but I don't include it as I have no idea where we are at with it!  I have applied for a online account but it hasn't worked so I need to get in touch with them!

STM x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the debt clearance. Another month where your money has gone in the right direction
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Savingtomove
    Savingtomove Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on the debt clearance. Another month where your money has gone in the right direction
    Thanks savingholmes!  Its hard to see the progress sometimes it feels a little slow!
  • Savingtomove
    Options
    So everything has been a bit like ground hog day in the STM household.  We are lucky because we are both still working but it has been very challenging having a 1 and 3 year old at home and trying to get the hours in.  I have been working most evenings and weekends and taking on as much contract work as I can manage to help the debt situation and keep my self employed work on track.

I have also managed to gain half a stone which is awful because I had 4 stone to loose so that is now 4.5 stone.  I'm finding lock down a challenge psychologically and struggling to motivate myself to do anything.  Does anyone else get frustrated at being up happy with the same things but unable to change the habits that got you there!!!!
    Well I am determined to get the things that annoy me back on track!!
    So this week I am going to try and sort something even if tiny in the house and try and get back on track with doing TOMM  I'm also going to get my 10K steps in and stick to my fasting and low carb which was working wonders before lockdown.
    So in dept news I have manged to take some extra from the business and get exact totals for the car loan.
    Here is a update on the numbers:
    Family loan:  - 23,217.46
    Personal loan: -22,645.00
    Credit Card: -£5800
    Emergency fund/savings - £4,724.55
    Wage in business: Up to July
    TOTAL (taking emergency fund off) April - £48,017.46
    NEW TOTAL for May - -£46,937.91
    PAID OFF this month- -£1,079.55
    This also includes the fact the personal loan is higher than we thought!! We are keeping alot as savings at the moment due to being unsure of what will happen with COVID and I need to work out my tax bill to be paid in 2021.
  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    All heading in the right direction & well done on juggling young children with work commitments in these strange times, it's so hard & definitely takes its toll on you in many ways. I've also gained weight during lockdown 🙁 
    Keep going though, you're doing really well in very difficult circumstances x
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Well done - your debt is going down, you are juggling lots of challenges - and you are being sensible with your business. All good. Are you doing any self care at the moment? Painting my toe nails gave me a boost last week. My teenage DD dyed my hair for me this week and I felt like a different person. Essential. Is there something you can do that's nice for you too?
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • Savingtomove
    Options
    All heading in the right direction & well done on juggling young children with work commitments in these strange times, it's so hard & definitely takes its toll on you in many ways. I've also gained weight during lockdown 🙁 
    Keep going though, you're doing really well in very difficult circumstances x
    Thank you!  Its been tough but there have been some positives.  I have realised what is important and both me and DH have realised that doing stuff and spending doesn't increase your happiness!
    Well done - your debt is going down, you are juggling lots of challenges - and you are being sensible with your business. All good. Are you doing any self care at the moment? Painting my toe nails gave me a boost last week. My teenage DD dyed my hair for me this week and I felt like a different person. Essential. Is there something you can do that's nice for you too?
    Self-care?!! whats that again?  I am trying to introduce somethings this week.  To start with I do want to sort the house a but because it makes me feel rubbish with it being so disorganised and then I want to start doing my 10K steps and a but of crafting so fingers crossed.
    So in money saving news we will hopefully be £132 under budget this month which will be off the credit card woopwoop!

In not such good news work has slowed this week!  Im hoping it isnt a sign of things to come!

STM xx
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Self care is definitely a priority. I cut my fringe a little this week and got DD to chop and inch off the back. None of its perfect but it will do. She also got a weird facial cleanser thing - electronic with a silicone head which I let her try on my face. I then moisturised and it definitely feels better. The simple things do help.
  • Savingtomove
    edited 6 June 2020 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Self care is definitely a priority. I cut my fringe a little this week and got DD to chop and inch off the back. None of its perfect but it will do. She also got a weird facial cleanser thing - electronic with a silicone head which I let her try on my face. I then moisturised and it definitely feels better. The simple things do help.
    Your right savingholmes and I have crashed and burned a bit this week so got my sewing machine out yesterday for a bit of 'me' time and am going to try and make regular time for myself.  We haven't hard it half as bad as most but I am very ready for life to get back to normal!
    So here are the scores on the doors:
    Family loan:  - 23,217.46
    Personal loan: -22,280.00
    Credit Card: -£5623.99
    Emergency fund/savings - £6,724.55
    Wage in business: Up to August
    TOTAL (taking emergency fund off) in May - £46,937.91
    NEW TOTAL for May - -£44,397.45
    PAID OFF this month- -£2,540.46 woop woop!!

I'm thinking of getting on the ebay/selling stuff this month....I have loads of baby clothes and some toys like a smart trike that the kids have never really been into.  So going to clean a few bits up and get them listed.  Anything we sell I will split between the credit card, house maintenance fund and car maintenance fund which are both lower than I would like.
    Work stays steady and I am managing to start to build up a buffer in the business account which is great - I have been so lucky to keep it going despite corna.

Hope everyone is keeping well....over and out

STM x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport