Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

National debt clock.. surprised me

Options
http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

I remember the big fanfare when it went over the £1 Trillion market, I was totally unaware it had crossed the £2 Trillion mark, there was nothing in the media.

Good or Bad?

No idea

Comments

• New_World_Man
    Options
    Would be interesting to see how it got divided up if Scotland became independent (I have never been able to find any clear discussion of how these assets and liabilities would be split - and I am interested in the economic argument rather than the political grandstanding).

Don’t mean to take your point off topic but it is an interesting financial fact and, as you rightly say, tends to be overlooked.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Is this all (both government & personal) debt or just government?
    The big fanfare was when government debt hit £1Tr
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just government debt.

I think it's over £2tr if you include quantitative easing, and less if you don't.

The government's policy seems pretty balanced to me. As a % of GDP the national debt is falling, and the money borrowed at the moment is going on infrastructure.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »
    As a % of GDP the national debt is falling, and the money borrowed at the moment is going on infrastructure.

I guess that is what the Government would say. Didnt Boris Johnson say '£33.9bn a year NHS funding boost' and 'employing an additional 20,000 police officer, cost = £1.1bn

Is that "infrastructure"?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/23/the-cost-of-boris-johnson-pricing-up-the-next-prime-minister-pledges

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-general-election-2019-tory-funding-pledge-nhs-investment-1332861
  • caroline341245
    Options
    No big deal even if it was 2000 trillion, like all big debts it never gets paid back.
    Now if the national debt was £5000 then there would be bailiffs and legal notices demanding it repaid.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The debt was used as justification by the Tories to go on a campaign of punishment and hatred towards the poor and the vulnerable and all their voters lapped it up; loved it, loved seeing the disabled and minority groups finally getting 'what they deserve'.

Now they've had their fill of sadistic class war the debt is all forgotten about. The debt? What debt? Oh the two trillion? Yeah forget about that we've got tax cuts for the rich!

Expect the debt to come back into focus at some point this decade when the Tories and their voters are horny for punishing a few more poor people.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    The debt was used as justification by the Tories to go on a campaign of punishment and hatred towards the poor and the vulnerable and all their voters lapped it up; loved it, loved seeing the disabled and minority groups finally getting 'what they deserve'.

Now they've had their fill of sadistic class war the debt is all forgotten about. The debt? What debt? Oh the two trillion? Yeah forget about that we've got tax cuts for the rich!

Expect the debt to come back into focus at some point this decade when the Tories and their voters are horny for punishing a few more poor people.

We've just had an election in case you've missed it. ;)

Labour's spending commitments were yet again determined to be pure fantasy by the electorate.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure