Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Solar Panels

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
6 replies 573 views
bs77bs77 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
Hello everyone
I have a building that has solar panels. They were installed in 2015 and have a MCS certificate stating that. The problem is the people looking after the place back then never registered them for a feed in tariff. So to me they seem to have been providing energy to the grid for nearly 5 years with no benefit. Is there anyway you can claim for this and register them going forwards.

regards

BS

Replies

• EVandPVEVandPV Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware, FIT ended last year and I very much doubt you could claim anything backdated.
    There are a few of the power suppliers who now pay for surplus generation though so that's probably your best bet.
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv SSW facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    7.2kwh Pylontech battery storage with Lux ac inverter
    Renault Zoe 40kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • bs77bs77 Forumite
    2 Posts
    What do you mean by surplus generation. Sorry for the question but i am clueless on this.

BS
  • EVandPVEVandPV Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    bs77 wrote: »
    What do you mean by surplus generation.

The power from your solar panels that's not being consumed by your house and going back to the grid.
    Under the old FIT scheme, you get paid a certain rate for whatever your panels generate plus another rate for whatever surplus is going back to the grid.
    Pretty sure the power companies only pay for any surplus power under the new schemes.
    Scott in Fife, 3kwp pv SSW facing, Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012
    7.2kwh Pylontech battery storage with Lux ac inverter
    Renault Zoe 40kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Exiled_TykeExiled_Tyke Forumite
    522 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The FIT scheme rules were that the application needed to be made within a month of install so sadly there's not chance there. As EV&PV says best bet now is to find an electricity tariff that pays you for the electricity you export. I think Octopus are the people to go to but hopefully others who know better will confirm this.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kW battery
  • ABrassABrass Forumite
    478 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    According to offgem you might be able to still apply for installations made before the cut off date.
    Householders that installed an eligible system and have already successfully applied for FITs payments are unaffected by the scheme closure.

Householders that have installed an eligible system with an MCS certificate dated on or before 31 March 2019 have until 31 March 2020 to apply to the scheme.

Householders that have not installed an eligible system on or before 31 March 2019 will not be eligible for FITs payments.

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/renewable-energy/electricity/solar-panels/smart-export-guarantee-and-feed-tariffs
  • ScrewdrivaScrewdriva Forumite
    161 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    If you can get the FIT rate, nothing like it. If not, Bulb offers 5.38p and Octopus 5.5p. I prefer Bulb but have only just signed up for SEG. My thread on this topic has no activity, so I'm guessing not much experience on SEG exists on these forums
    -  10 x 400w LG BiFacial Panels + SE P505 Optimizers + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter. SE London (Zone 2). 
    -  40% of panels in an East/ West rooftop orientation.
This discussion has been closed.