PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 September 2020 at 5:24PM
    Options
    Well it is quite a relief to know firstly that I’m not the only one who struggles to throw away things that anybody else would say is rubbish, and secondly that I am also not alone in giving up on a project where they are really close to the end just because something has gone wrong or I’m not sure what the next step is.  I’ve just gone through my wardrobe (which also doubles as my craft stash) and pulled everything out. In the process I found a cardigan and two T-shirts that I hadn’t noticed were missing!

I have sent some scrap fabric to the rag recycling bag, and then I listed all my outstanding projects including a couple of things that I want to start (and already have the materials for). It comes to 20 different projects.  I then numbered  them in order of priority - some are very close to being finished, a couple are Christmas or new-baby-arrival related so they got a high place in the list. This has been really useful, because I had to recognise that the project down at 18, 19 and 20 are not very attractive and the likelihood is that I am going to find something else that I want to do more. That’s why they’ve been languishing in the cupboard for so long!

That has actually made it much easier for me, the bottom five are definitely going to recycling/charity. I’m going to try and take a couple of the top of the list which shouldn’t take long to finish. Then I might review this again, the chances are I will have thought of something new I want to do or possibly discovered yet another UFO lurking somewhere! 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TwibbleDee said:
    Planning ahead.
    21 coupons remaining.
    • I may need a new dress at Christmas - 7 coupons there, leaving 14.
    • Maybe a new pair of boots at 5 coupons, leaving 9.  I have my cowboy boots and hiking boots, but would like a pair of wellies or something for when it's actually wet.  I could get the wax and seal my cowboy boots...
    How many coupons would a full-length bathrobe run?
    In the original list, a man's bathrobe is 8 coupons and a boy's is 6.  It doesn't list one for a woman, so I reckon we go with the boy's size of 6 coupons.

I bought a new purse that can be used as a backpack.  Here's hoping it'll help me balance the amount of weight I end up carrying around in it.  2 coupons down, so down to 21.
    Photo, please.  I like bags that convert to backpacks, but they're almost impossible to find in the UK.  (I know of one supplier in France...)  I'll post a photo of my current back later today.

- Pip
    https://www.dillards.com/p/sakroots-loyola-convertible-backpack/511539218
    I got the "indigo" one.  It's more of a light navy.  They also make a slightly smaller one that won't fit my full-size planner in it (8.5"x11" - standard US letter size).
    Looks lovely. I hope it works out well for you.
    - Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh that bag is lovely!  With things as they are, I don’t feel I need a new bag. I’m hardly ever going anywhere that requires me to take more than a purse (and hand sanitiser, mask, water bottle and wipes, of course). Going through my wardrobe today I realised how few clothes I have worn over the last six months, apart from my smart work clothes which get put on for a few hours and taken off as soon as I get home, I have lived in jeans, T-shirts, cardigans and fleeces. I foresee winter being mostly the same, with more emphasis on the fleeces. There doesn’t seem much point in buying anything new. I’m thinking about a new jacket as I am going out for brunch on my birthday (if it’s still permitted) but it will probably be second-hand if I do. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback