Bipolar but wanting to work

Options
Hi,
I have lcwra status on my universal credit (basically they don't expect me to do anything work related due to my health). I have bipolar disorder which puts me in hospital whenever I attempt more than about five hours a week very gentle work. I've managed to do a few MLM style jobs but they don't really bring in a profit. I also have two school age children and I am a single mum. The kids dad has them overnight most Saturdays at the moment. I can't drive due to my illness but do have a medical bus pass. I don't have a degree but do have university credits. I have experience in most minimum wage style jobs and I'm 34.

Any ideas for a job? I mostly want something to keep me a bit busy but more money would be nice!

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    Could you try voluntary work?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DuffyA wrote: »
    I have bipolar disorder which puts me in hospital whenever I attempt more than about five hours a week very gentle work.

Any ideas for a job? I mostly want something to keep me a bit busy but more money would be nice!

Five hours of very gentle work puts you in hospital. Has anyone (including you) ever worked out why/what the trigger is to have such a dramatic effect? It's hard to suggest ideas for a job without knowing what stimuli are causing such a huge bodily (over)reaction. What does the damage: contact with people, stress, fatigue, particular activities, commuting...?

Is there any chance you could get further help and support to cope with being bipolar? It seems awful that someone so young is being so massively incapacitated by this wretched condition. Presumably you've tried https://www.bipolaruk.org and all the other resources available?
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about a Saturday job in your local town, good idea to try voluntary work in a charity shop such as Mind for example?

Then if you manage that could try working in a coffee shop or retail on the Saturday?

It's quite stressful being a mum and that is more than 5 hours a day and you have lots of transferable skills which will be useful in a job.
  • Dox
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    It's quite stressful being a mum and that is more than 5 hours a day and you have lots of transferable skills which will be useful in a job.

Indeed - and looking at OP's other posts, she is home educating a 10 year old and a 12 year old, which must make life very difficult at times.
  • DuffyA
    DuffyA Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    The kids are quite possibly going back to school next term, which will leave me at a loose end.

Thank you for all your advice.

I think the problem with work is a combination of tiredness and the increased stress of interacting with people where I can't be "myself". My friends all know about the bipolar and so are understanding about the occasional paranoia, psychosis, depression and mania. When interacting with people I don't know I'm always really worried they will judge me for things I can't help.

I was under community mental health services but they have discharged me now as they don't think they can help any more and I'm not in crisis. I take my meds and try to stick to a routine, which helps. I just feel like services have given up on me living a normal life and are happy with me just being alive and not disruptive.

I'm happy with the benefits I receive, I have enough to live on and have the occasional treat. I'm very conscious that any improvement in my health, or even just the whims of the dwp, could lose me significant sums. At least with a job I have a bit more reliability, if I can stay well. I've not been in hospital for over a year now, so fingers crossed!

I took myself off one of my meds as I had a poor quality of life and it has actually improved my mental health as I'm less fatigued. MH services and my GP were alarmed but it's worked out well. I worry that any increase in pressure would make things worse again, but I also want to increase my self esteem by being able to answer the question "and what do you do?" with something other than being mum.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How about ironing at home?
    I know it doesn’t sound desperately exciting, but you can pick your hours and the amount an start off small and friendly.
    For example you could start by asking your friends, family and maybe the school mums for work (not charity).
    You could start with just client and then build it up if you want more.
  • DuffyA
    DuffyA Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds good, but I have two cats and my entire life is covered in cat hair :rotfl:
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Being a mum is a very important job and nothing to belittle or be ashamed of, you've got a great job already :) You could say you're CEO of DuffyA Inc for example :)

Or if you have a creative side line like knitting, crocheting, making picture frames, watercolours, making jewellery, candles etc you could say "I'm a painter" for example.

How about a creative course as a hobby and practicing it in 2020. You could give them as presents to friends and family and if the kids go to school you could gift them to teachers or donate them to school fair etc
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    I am a cleaner. I drive which does make it easier, but if your kids are in school you could maybe do 3/4 jobs a week? On the bus. I take my own equipment, but I know many others who use the clients stuff. Most jobs are around 1.5-2hrs each, even one three times a week may help? Best bit is most people are not around, so no interacting, and while it can be physically tiring, most jobs are not too hard if they are regular ones. I also do ironing for a client, I bring it home, but some people will include it as part of the job and do it at the clients house.

I am self employed so I choose my hours and jobs. Have recently reduced down due to an injury.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Dox
    Options
    DuffyA wrote: »
    Sounds good, but I have two cats and my entire life is covered in cat hair :rotfl:

An effective vacuum cleaner should solve the problem - or banning the cats from the room where you'll be doing the ironing (and you must surely do your own ironing somewhere reasonably fur-free?!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure