Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Have the last 20yrs been more difficult to buy a property?

Options
1235»

Comments

• JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    triathlon said:
    This thread really should be changed to have young adults become way to soft in the last 20 years and want everything handed on a plate with zero struggling or pain.

No sympathy at all from me
    Yes, no young adults are struggling at the minute or working hard. What a silly thing to say.
    How old were you when you bought your first house? How did you struggle?
  • dinsdale_
    dinsdale_ Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Looking at this graph below shows the supply and demand. This must have an impact on how easy/hard it is to buy a property.
    The website mentions 'Right to Buy' and 'Immigration explosion' as being factors in the divergence of supply and demand.

• CreditCardChris
    Options
    I'd say it was 10x easier to get onto the property ladder 30 - 40 years ago than it is today.
    Boomers love to bring up the interest rate difference but the reality of it is the house to salary ratio back then was 2x or maybe 3x in London. Now it's 6x - 8x which means we can't even get on the damn ladder without earning £50k a year and a 25% deposit. 

The housing market have become monopolised by boomers and foreign investors who scooped them up for dirt cheap. That's why I'm moving to Canada, this country is damaged beyond repair I'm afraid.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say it was 10x easier to get onto the property ladder 30 - 40 years ago than it is today.
    Boomers love to bring up the interest rate difference but the reality of it is the house to salary ratio back then was 2x or maybe 3x in London. Now it's 6x - 8x which means we can't even get on the damn ladder without earning £50k a year and a 25% deposit. 

The housing market have become monopolised by boomers and foreign investors who scooped them up for dirt cheap. That's why I'm moving to Canada, this country is damaged beyond repair I'm afraid.
    Perhaps you should do a bit of research instead of making rash claims.  Post like this are just as bad as post saying it's no harder than it's ever been.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure