Sold some laptops and buyer wants to treat as business expense

Hi there,
Firstly, I'm sure this is the wrong thread so apologies in advance. Not sure which one to post this on.

I sold a couple of old broken laptops on ebay to one buyer. There were a few so he probably bought about £2K-£3K's worth.

He has asked for my name and address so he can write up an invoice for business expenses.

I don't run any sort of business. I don't really want to give my name and address for this. What should I do? Do I need to do this and how does this impact me if my name and address are on his expenses?

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You dont need to do anything. Youre not legally required to provide an address.

They should just print out the ebay/paypal receipt for their records.

How does it impact you, in all likelihood not at all. Theyll probably print off the receipt with your details on, put it in a file until year end where the accountant will clarify the type of expense it will be allocated to. From there it will be kept in archives in case HMRC want to investigate their accounts. Eventually itll be destroyed with the chances being that no one ever sees it beyond the person printing it off and the accountant.
  • Hi there,
    Firstly, I'm sure this is the wrong thread so apologies in advance. Not sure which one to post this on.

I sold a couple of old broken laptops on ebay to one buyer. There were a few so he probably bought about £2K-£3K's worth.

He has asked for my name and address so he can write up an invoice for business expenses.

I don't run any sort of business. I don't really want to give my name and address for this. What should I do? Do I need to do this and how does this impact me if my name and address are on his expenses?

If they were broken and only a couple - how did that become a few and up to £3K in value in the next sentence?

Are you worried about HMRC deciding you are running a business?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Buyer is going to have your address one way or another though , you surely don't intend posting them out without a return address in case courier can't deliver.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • If they were broken and only a couple - how did that become a few and up to £3K in value in the next sentence?

Are you worried about HMRC deciding you are running a business?
    yes, these are faulty Macbooks which hold value.

I had about 8 of them over the years and sold them on. So yes more than a couple ... I should be more specific.

And yes, I am concerned HMRC will think I'm running a business. Which I am not.

I'm not sure who it works when folks claim business expenses.
  • soolin wrote: »
    Buyer is going to have your address one way or another though , you surely don't intend posting them out without a return address in case courier can't deliver.

Yep, they have this but I guess my main question was regarding him writing my name and address on his business expense and how that might impact me. I don't run a business so not sure what to expect. It was more a hobby.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    HMRC will not think you are a business because youve sold a small number of faulty laptops through ebay.

However they could consider it a business if what you describe as a hobby is actually considered by HMRC to be business activity.

Ie if youve sold 8 damaged laptops that youve accumulated for personal use over a number of years then they will not consider you a business.

If you bought damaged laptops with the intention of repairing and selling on or even just selling on then it could be considered a business activity. This doesnt include anything that you might not have mentioned.
  • If you have brought in more then £1k on ebay you not need to do a tax return?
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2019 at 9:43PM
    If you're selling your own goods and not buying and selling for profit then it's not a business. Lots of people declutter and sell things they've had for several years and it's not considered to be a business. If you earn money from things like affiliate marketing and surveys then it is a business and if you buy things and sell them on it's a business, then you need to be registered with HMRC. I'm considered to be self employed and have to send in a tax return even though I only make a small profit from surveys and affiliate marketing. I never include goods that I've owned and used and then sold on.
    I should add that if you sell assets worth more than £12000 then you need to pay capital gains tax.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you have brought in more then £1k on ebay you not need to do a tax return?

Why?
    You dont need to file a tax return for selling your own 2nd hand goods.
  • As others have stated the buyer can use there pp/ebay receipt as there expense, for you as its used goods that you owned it wont be treated as a business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure