Monetise spare baggage capacity on flights?

Hi, new to this part of the forums, sorry if this breaks any rules.

Does anyone know a way to monetise spare baggage capacity on flights?

For example, if I'm flying long haul and only have hand luggage for myself but my ticket includes 20-30kg of checked luggage, surely there must be some way of offering it to someone else (who is moving house, for example) for cash?

Obviously it would have to be checked for contraband etc., but with all the latest trends towards car-sharing, freecycling, etc. I was wondering if there's any kind of system already in place?
:)
Saving money for everything and everyone.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,905
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I do hope not as I can see this as a recipe for disaster. For a start when you go and check the bag in and you are asked if you packed it yourself and you say no, then I suspect things will get horribly complicated for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,275
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    And the person packs it with drugs for example
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sandstone wrote: »
    Hi, new to this part of the forums, sorry if this breaks any rules.

Does anyone know a way to monetise spare baggage capacity on flights?

For example, if I'm flying long haul and only have hand luggage for myself but my ticket includes 20-30kg of checked luggage, surely there must be some way of offering it to someone else (who is moving house, for example) for cash?

Obviously it would have to be checked for contraband etc., but with all the latest trends towards car-sharing, freecycling, etc. I was wondering if there's any kind of system already in place?
    :)

Even drugs a side it would be a lot of effort to be selling 20kg of airplane storage...seems a lot of hassle for very little pay off...finding ways of getting whatever someone wants to transport to and from the airport etc...may as well just pay to have it posted.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    And the person packs it with drugs for example

And there are worse things than drugs - consequences for all the humans on board beyond a prison sentence.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Obviously it would have to be checked for contraband etc.

Just imagine how thoroughly you'd have to check it. Taking any electronic items apart, checking every item of clothing for hidden pouches. Checking soles of shoes for tampering / hidden things. Would that be worth your time? Would anyone want you doing that to their stuff? Would you even be 100% sure there wasn't a gram of cocaine stashed somewhere?

This idea is completely unviable, sorry!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,769
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    You used to be able to buy courier flights, they were sold cheap as the agent sold the baggage allowance to someone else. This was official with the luggage declared as not belonging to the ticket holder.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure