Repayment problems/non-resident

Hi,
My local mortgage chappie seems to be having problems resolving this, so I hope someone can help me...
I have a mortgage on my house, of around £106,000, which leaves an equity of around £54,000. My girlfriend, who is Spanish and resident in Spain, wants to help me by paying off half the mortgage, and in return I want to make her joint owner. Now it seems that the building society won't allow that without her taking on liability for the remaining mortgage, which seems unfair to her, and won't allow it anyway until she's been resident here for 2 years. (which isnt going to happen for the foreseeable).
Our desire to have joint ownership is partly for her security, and partly emotional, if you see what I mean.
Can anyone think of a way we can resolve this?
Thank you.

Replies

• JonbvnJonbvn Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    All mortgage lenders will insist that if you want to be "joint tenants" then the mortgage must be in joint names. This is for obvious legal reasons.

Consider remortgaging. AFAIK, several lenders will consider EU citizens as borrowers, since your LTV is 50%.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News