New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Is this a scam?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
5 replies 953 views
lafrowdalafrowda Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, the tax relief I get is reduced substantially by the tax I have to pay on my contribution in PAYE.

PAYE
Employee Contribution 79.52
Tax on contribution 20% (14.00)

PENSION
Employee Contribution 79.52
Tax Relief 20% 19.58

Result only 7% 85.10

What have I missed?

Lafrowda

Replies

• Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simpler example:
    If you contribute £80 out of net pay (having had 20%/£20 deducted for income tax) then you receive relief of 25% of that £80 (i.e. £20) to give you that tax relief.

===

You've contributed £79.52. 25% of that is (almost) the £19.58 figure (i.e. you don't use 20% on that net figure to get the gross.) Incidentally, are you sure that figure isn't £19.88?

It's not clear where those 7% or 85.10 figures are coming from.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Thank you for your reply Paul - Yes, my numbers are sketchy, but I thought for every £1 contributed the government paid-in .20 pence i.e. 20% ? In your simple example
    PAYE 20% of £80 is £16
    RELIEF 25% of 80 is £20 (A difference of £4)
    £4 is 5% of £80
    Not 20%
  • HappyHarryHappyHarry Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    This is how the numbers work:

Pay = £100 gross
    Tax deducted = £20
    Net pay = £80

Net Pension contribution = £80
    Tax relief =£20
    Total pension contribution =£100

Yes, you get 20% tax relief on your pension contributions, but this refers to the 20% tax that was deducted from your pay.

You are correct though, in that you do actually receive a 25% addition to your net pension contribution.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • But isn't it obvious that this tax relief (our incentive so to speak) is reduced by the tax we have to pay on our contributions in our pay packets?
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lafrowda wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply Paul - Yes, my numbers are sketchy, but I thought for every £1 contributed the government paid-in .20 pence i.e. 20% ? In your simple example

No - you've paid tax of 20% to get to that £1, so you need 25% of that £1 to bring you back to the original amount.

Gross £1.25. Tax of 20% is 25p, dropping it to £1.

Put £1 in your pension, government refunds 25% of that (25p) bringing it back to £1.25.
    PAYE 20% of £80 is £16
    RELIEF 25% of 80 is £20 (A difference of £4)

You're treating that £80 as gross in the first line and net in the second:

- Gross of £80 gets taxed 20%(£16) to bring it to £64. 25% of £64 is £16.
    - Net of £80 was £100 which was taxed 20%(£20) to bring it to £80. 25% relief of £80 is £20.

There's no loss going on here - you're simply confusing net pay which gets 25% relief with gross pay which gets taxed at 20%.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries