I am bankrupt and received a letter from PRA GROUP

Hello,

Could you please help me understand what this letter mean ?
I have been made bankrupt at the end of august 2019. 3 months ago.
Today i received 2 letters from PRA GROUP telling me they bought one of my debts from Aqua credit card and although they say = this i snot a payment demand- further down the page they write : " you will not be contacted by PRA or its agent WHILE YOU REMAIN SUBJECT TO YOUR IINSOLVENCY" ... does that mean they will pester me with calls and demands after august 2020 when I will be discharged ?? ... Please reply .. i am terrified of this prospect :((((( Thank you. PS : What shall I do ?...

Comments

• Please do not worry, these debts are bought in bulk and they are just trying it on, ignore it or pass onto your OR, there is nothing they can do. You have nothing to pay
  • I have also recieved one today and i had another about two weeks ago, I phoned them and they said there is nothing to worry about they buy all the debts in bulk and occasionally they include Bankrupt debts, they are not looking for payment but they do have an obligation to inform you they now own the debt if your circumstances were to change
  • Flo11
    Flo11 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 1 December 2019 at 12:13AM
    if my circumstances were to change ... WHEN ? Within the year untill discharged or any time after as well ? As in .. if i land a better job in the future, after i will be discharged from bankruptcy ... will they come after me then ???
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    after i will be discharged from bankruptcy ... will they come after me then ???

Until the date has passed there is still the [very] outside chance of rescission or annulment e.g. you win the lottery and decide to pay off your creditors. If the bankruptcy runs it's normal course, then they won't be back as they can't.

Here is the guide

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch1-12/Chapter6/part3/part_4.htm
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Flo11 basically what WhenIam64 said. Its simply 'administrative procedure' and whilst they cannot and should not chase you for the debt, they have to inform you they are the new owner be the debt £5 million, £0.01, or written off. I suspect it will be in the rules that govern these organisations so if they sell it on another firm will spend the cost of a letter informing you they now owe your debt of £nil.

Sadly the price of compliance but as long as you follow the terms of your bankruptcy you will owe nothing but the smug satisfaction that it costs them money to inform you that they own a written off debt.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • I certainly wasn't smug about anything going through the bankruptcy procedure.

OP - don't worry at all. The debt will be included in your bankruptcy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure