Switching to a buy yo let mortgage, new deposit ?

We are going to rent our house out but need to change our mortgage over to a buy to let mortgage. We’re with Halifax but have to remortgage with someone else as they won’t let us switch.

If we remortgage will we have to put another deposit down? Even though there’s now equity In the property?
We have £60000 left on the mortgage but house is now worth £95000.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• The equity is your deposit
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you ask Halifax about consent to let or simply ask them if they would change your mortgage to BTL?

If this is likely to be short-term, a temporary consent to let might suit you better. When asking, don't use words like "investment" but stress the temporary nature of your requirement.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • The 35k equity in your property is the deposit. At 65% LTV, you *should* have plenty of options (also depends on the achievable rent and limited somewhat if you are a new landlord) for BTL mortgages to remortgage to and should not need a further deposit.

Are you having to pay ERCs to switch away from Halifax? If so you might well be better off obtaining consent-to-let and then remortgaging to a BTL at the end of the fix.

It's a very competitive market for BTL mortgages out there and I hope you are using a broker.
    We are going to rent our house out but need to change our mortgage over to a buy to let mortgage. We’re with Halifax but have to remortgage with someone else as they won’t let us switch.

If we remortgage will we have to put another deposit down? Even though there’s now equity In the property?
    We have £60000 left on the mortgage but house is now worth £95000.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport