In over my head, where do I start

Options
Hi all,

I am in so much debt I don’t know where to start :( all I do know is that I can’t keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, what little I am paying back is getting me nowhere and I’ve cut back everything I can.

Advice please

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Hi Ninjaqueen,

You have started in exactly the right place. From here you can receive a ton of advice, guidance and support.

Now for the second step:
    Please can you complete your Statement of Affairs (SOA), remembering to hit the 'format for MSE' button and then paste it up here. Then we can see your exact circumstances :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,885 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Statement of affairs is the place to start, the link to the calculator kindly provided by W2L above, fill in, format for MSE, post, then we can help.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Yes - what they ^^ said!

Make sure that the SOA is as honest and accurate as you can make it - it needs to reflect your situation right now - now what you think you *should* be spending, or what you imagine we expect to see. It might help you to get together a years worth of bank account and card statements so that you can accurately reflect what you spend in each category.

Having had a quick look at your previous posts - one thing I will suggest straight off the top of my head is to shop to a list and shop less often to reduce grocery spending. The more often we go into the supermarket, the more things we "think" we need, and end up buying. If you meal plan first - making sure to use the stuff you already have in to avoid waste, then anything else you need, but don't have, to make the week's meals goes on the list. Milk will keep a week in the fridge - just be sure to search for the longest use by dates - and bread can easily be frozen so you can take it out as needed. Fruits and vegetables should be stored correctly and used in the order in which they will go off. Go to the shop, buy what you need, come home, put it away, and then relish not only spending less money, but also less time - another precious resource!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business