Move house or pay off mortgage ? Help

Hi everybody need advice making a big decision, me and my partner have 40,000 left to pay on the mortgage. We currently can't over pay untill July 2020 and we aren't living in the best area which is making me won't to move house asap as we now have a baby . My partner has suggested we stay here for the next 6-7 years pay of the mortgage and then we can rent this out and be mortgage free on the next house? However it just seems such a long time to wait when I'm not happy living around this area and we currently have the deposit to put down onto a new house . What do you think and suggest ? :)

Replies

• longway2golongway2go Forumite
    999 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A few things I would think about:

Does the area you live in mean that your baby would be in catchment for a less than favourable school?

Will you struggle to rent your current house due to location?

How much extra will the mortgage be when you move in a monthly basis?
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • Yes thankyou all of the above I do need to consider ! Me personally I won't to love Asap due to how bad the area is . Hopefully we can sell and move on . My partner just wants to pay this off but could take years for that.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Perhaps consider moving once your youngster approaches school age. That's a compromise. Financially you'll be better off.
  • billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    1K Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Quick question, how will paying off your mortgage and renting it out make your new house mortgage free?

Do you mean the rent will pay your new mortgage?

Are you aware about the stamp duty cost of buying a second property?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals