New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Pension pot access at 55

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
1 reply 2.1K views
loopylobboloopylobbo Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
I am 56 years old and need some money to pay some debts. I would like to take a pot of 25% from my personal pension which is about 15k but I'm worried about whether I would then need to pay back the Tax relief which the government has already given me.
I don't have any other real income at the moment as my small self employed business is really struggling.
I have normally put into my personal pension was £240 a month which the government topped up to £300 with tax relief.
My question is if I take out 25% about 15k from my pension in a lump sum, will I need to pay the government back the tax relief or will that still be mine to do as I please?
Thanks in advance.

Replies