Estimating pension pot - fund performance

Options
1235»

Comments

• Notepad_Phil
    Options
    Ngozi wrote: »
    I'd like to contribute more but unfortunately, even if I only did 13% (other 4% from employer) I can't exactly afford to have over £200 a month going out of my pay, not right now at least :o

Try to get there as fast as you can - your future self will thank you :)

I found that putting a big chunk of any pay increase I got into my pension stopped me from just spending the increase on new things that I/we didn't really need.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like to contribute more but unfortunately, even if I only did 13% (other 4% from employer) I can't exactly afford to have over £200 a month going out of my pay, not right now at least :o

Helps to focus ones mind to personal money management if nothing else. We all have choices.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Fair enough. If you can derive whatever it is by knowing your portfolio then all is cool. Really what matters is that you have plenty of $s but % growth you are quoting is not necessarily meaningful. Shares and bonds did well, on that we agree.

Aggressive saving and sensible asset allocation give you the best chance of success. I was/am a very aggressive saver and my circumstances meant that I was able to save over 50% of my salary for many years. If I was to include those contributions in my numbers it would produce a result that's meaningless for most people.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Aggressive saving and sensible asset allocation give you the best chance of success. I was/am a very aggressive saver and my circumstances meant that I was able to save over 50% of my salary for many years. If I was to include those contributions in my numbers it would produce a result that's meaningless for most people.

Don’t see how you can calculate your portfolio returns in a meaningful way without accounting for cash flows in and out. Never mind
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Don’t see how you can calculate your portfolio returns in a meaningful way without accounting for cash flows in and out. Never mind

For portfolio comparison I think CAGR is the cleanest way to look at things.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • For portfolio comparison I think CAGR is the cleanest way to look at things.

No. CAGR is meaningless for a real investment portfolio. Only has any meaning for a one-off lump sum investment, in which case it is the same as XIRR.
  • CAGR can be calculated only when we have present value, future value and time duration of a single sum. It can’t be calculated for a stream of cash flows, revenues, etc

https://xplaind.com/894653/compound-annual-growth-rate
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is just what AEGON automatically set everyones account up as, unless they were near retirement.

For the average person is very hard to know where to allocate your pot, work out the fees etc... so kind of have to place faith in someone who you'd hope knows better.

I think the problem is that most providers, especially when it's not on an individual basis, are always going to err on the side of caution, because there's two factors in play
    Factor one is what growth the individuals will get.
    Factor two is, Will the individual panic, sue, complain, leave, make irrational decisions , if there are large fluctuations especially downwards, at any time, even though over say 30 or more years this is is to be expected.
    So this will lead to more cautious allocations than should be done for the long term because the "someone who knows better" doesn't want hassle from the investors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure