Back to basics

Replies

• cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi PJ
    No, it’s a Northern food company. They’ve been struggling for a while, and it’s been blatant the last couple of weeks so it’s not a surprise but still a bit scary and upsetting.
    As I said I’m in a better position than a lot of the staff but I still didn’t sleep much last night. I’m relieved that we just haven’t totally gone under and turned up to work to a locked door.
    Once the Xmas food shop arrives nothing more will be being bought ( apart from cream, milk, a trifle and fresh veg) and then we will be making do as long as possible to clear some of my credit card.
    I’m determined to look on the bright side. Xmas is next week and my lovely little family are having Xmas day together.
    Anyway I’d better get on
    Cuddles
    January 5/15 NSDs
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning
    Yay I’ve been paid. A relief I must say. I’ve knocked £100 off the credit card straight away and will keep knocking smaller amounts off as I can.
    Today is my last day off before Xmas so we are driving up to my sisters with the presents for that bit of the family this morning and then dog sitting this afternoon. It’s DS2s xmas do and it’s an overnighter so we’re staying at his house tonight. His dogs a rescue so finds being put in kennels really stressful so we avoid that as much as possible. She’s a love and loves cuddles so an evening in front of the telly is just what we need.
    Anyway I’d better get on
    I hope everyone is ok.
    Keep warm guys
    Cuddles
    January 5/15 NSDs
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you've got paid cuddlymarm, sounds an enjoyable evening planned.
    £71.93/ £180.00
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys
    Well the latest news on work is that the business has been bought out. A number of shops have been closed but the one I work in is safe. I imagine that everything will be clearer in the new year.
    But this has given me a kick up the backside to get the credit clear and some savings put away.
    Anyway I’d better get some jobs done
    Keep well everyone
    Cuddles
    January 5/15 NSDs
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Relieved for you, cuddlymarm! But sad for all those losing their jobs.

I'm on track to start saving hard after Christmas; we've managed to stay within the amount saved & budgeted for. This is normally a very quiet time for me business-wise, but this month's been quite good at the Emporium my stall is at. However I'm not counting any metaphorical chickens as that can vary drastically from one month to the next! Shan't spend it all in the one shop... any excess can be put towards my pitch fees for the summer pop-ups.
    Angie

GC Jan 22 £442.65/£500
    2022 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 71

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank goodness you are still in work and have had your 'light bulb ' moment to clear yourself of debts. if I could give anyone any advice it would be to do this asap.I know how easy it is for folk to just 'stick it on the card' at this time of the year especially but I think an awful lot of folk will find the gap between December payday and January a very long one.

I am retired so I don't have that problem, but at various times over my life I have felt not only the wolf knocking at the door ,but breathing through the letter box as well :) I am like a squirrel with my food stocks I like to keep a 'just in case' stock of food ,In my case its usually because if january gets a winter blast then I stay indoors out of the frost and snow I certainly don't need to be falling over again (recently tore my rotator cuff and its left me with very still right arm and shoulder ) I am away from Monday moving between my two daughters houses for around 10 days so I have been eating up my fresh stuff and have very little left in the fridge (enough for the couple of meals I have to cook ) When I come back in the New Year it will be to restock fresh food and use up some of the dry goods and tins stored up. freezer has a lot more wriggle room and I am hoping to defrost it soon .

I paid for my new coat on Thursday ,even though its not yet finished but its another bill out of the way . just done my accounts for the next couple of weeks and :) I am healthily in the black, and have a reasonable bit stashed for a rainy day.

Eating from the freezer has kept the food budget pretty low ,so my next goal is next years holiday.I have paid the deposit and the ferry tickets for the IoW so just have to start saving for the holiday house .
    Touch wood all is going to plan .

Hope everyone has a good christmas and nothing gets binned foodwise ,make the freezer your best friend, there is little that won't freeze and come mid January you may be glad you did
    take care everyone onwards towards a new decade :):)

Cheers JackieO xx
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read the thread with interest and just want to ask a question. Have you thought of opening a 'donor' bank account and then switching it? Yes, you do have to do a bit of thinking about DDs etc but it would certainly give your savings a little bit of a boost.It's possible to do this more than once!
    Just a thought.
    The latest Halifax switch netted £135- a good bit more than any interest.

Also a thought about the CC. Could you not switch to 0% balance rather than paying the high rate of interest. I'm not the person to ask about that 'cos I pay mine off in full every month.....

Good wishes with your money saving endeavours
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone
    Well We’ve had a fantastic Xmas. Now back to a bit of normality. I woke about 6am to heartburn and didn’t really get back to sleep again so I’m up and getting organised. I’m on work later so I want to organise today’s meals and tidy a bit before I go out.
    We’ve still loads of food left so the sweeties, cakes and deserts will be integrated into meals rather than as extras. Breakfast is going to be Xmas cake and a nice glass of milk ( yum) The leftover veg from Xmas day lunch was frozen and is now waiting to be made into soup.
    I got a nice notebook as a gift so it is now my planning book. I’m giving myself challenges. The first is to clear the Xmas credit card ( it’s not actually all been spent on Xmas but it’s easier to do it all at once) so I’ve drawn little Xmas trees, each worth £10 to cross off as I pay it off. I’ve already crossed 10 off because I got paid this morning.
    I hope everyone had a lovely Xmas and is feeling warm and well.
    As you can probably tell I’m feeling quite motivated at the moment so I’m making the most of it.
    Anyway I’d better get on
    Bye for now
    Cuddles
    January 5/15 NSDs
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impressive getting 10 trees knocked off already, and I like the sound of drawing the trees, not something I would have thought of but it's the sort of thing that could help me as a visual learner.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think I'll join if that's okay cuddly? :D

I achieved everything I wanted to last year but I now have a balance on my cc which I really don't like to have and other financial plans for 2020 which means that I need to be as frugal as possible to make sure that I can have a good year ;)
    I have a tendency to think 'it's only 20 quid' and do that with a number of things and before you know it, there's several hundred quid to pay back that I wasn't expecting!! :o
    I'm pretty good with food - although we eat erratically, I am an imaginative cook so can basically make something out of nothing. However, as an ethical shopper, my food bills are high - not a lot I can do about the cost of the items, but I can change how economically I use them ;)
    I'm not a 'crafty' person so no sewing, knitting etc but I do like to paint so I need to factor that into my persie budget.
    I have two holidays in 2020 that I have to save for - deposits have been paid on both - so that will be the thing that I need to focus on the most for the first six months or so.
    Looking forward to the journey!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides