Personal Guarantee Solicitor Fees (BTL LTD Co)

Hi,

We are getting a mortgage for our Limited Company to purchase a house. One of the stipulations is that all directors offer a personal guarantee to the loan. This requires a witnessed deed, and signed legal advise form.

We are literally getting quotes that are half the cost of the entire conveyancing to undertake these simple activities. We are aware of what personal liability means, but would potentially have to go through this process for every single house purchase!

Anyone been through this - found a cheap solicitor or body that can perform this function?

Thanks!
To Stooze or Not To Stooze - Theres only one option :D

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,935 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Witnessing a deed should be cheap, around £20. After all they are only witnessing your signature, not giving any undertaking.

Does the legal advice form require witnessing? Seems odd that you have to have witnessed a form saying you understand you should take your own legal advice.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I presume the solicitors also need to sign a form to say they have given legal advise to their client about what they were entering in to?

If so then i dont have any solicitors in my town who offer it. They describe it as high risk/ low fee transaction so they dont do it unless they have a longstanding relationship.

I had a firm for a while that could do it for about £200 but it had to be face to face. I also had one that did it over skype but you had to pan the camera to show you were in the room alone. Its a strange transaction.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If nothing else, you should expect to get a discount if you become a regular customer, but I doubt there is a cunning cheap way of getting through the first transaction. You'll just need to shop around and hope you find a backstreet solicitor willing to do a good deal.
  • Pricy147
    Pricy147 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    thanks - yeh its to witness our signatures, AND provide the legal advice. The former is cheap - even as low as £5 plus VAT. The advice is costly - when its completely obvious what you are entering into - complete cash cow that has to be repeated with every property purchase!!!!
    To Stooze or Not To Stooze - Theres only one option :D
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Solicitors time is expensive. That's business. Build a relationship with a sizable firm and obtain better rates by placing all your legal work through them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure