Nationwide Overpayment Reserve and Underpayments?

Options
Hi there,
when you make an overpayments, they go to 'Overpayment Reserve'.
Then you have 3 options to choose - to shorten the length, to lower the monthly payments or neither of them.
My question is - what option to choose to have an opportunity to have the Underpayments or no payments at all up to 'overpayment reserve' if there is a need in a future?
As I understand when you choose to lower the monthly payments or shorten the length, then the overpayment reserve's amount goes straight into that and you don't have the opportunity to have any underpayments in the future, is that true?
So do I need then to choose the third option - to leave the term and payments the same?
TIA

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I would think the safest option would be to withdraw some/all the reserve and then pay mortgage as normal, potentialy less chance of errors due to missed/underpayments
  • WorldCitizen
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    There is no option anymore to withdraw/take back any overpayments.
    I just want to put myself in a safe position. Of course I need to have an emergency fund. But... if I can do something with overpayments I would like to have the opportunity to have some NO payment months in the future, just in case.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Slightly different for myself as I missed the older ability to withdraw from overpayment reserve.
    As my overpayments are sub 500 then I build up reserve and have been known to cancel standing order which is when natwide will take mortgage payment from reserve.
    This means I'm better off in bank as no mortgage payment taken.
    Not something to be used often though helps in short term.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • WorldCitizen
    Options
    I miss the ability to withdraw from overpayment reserve as well as my Remortgage completion date is today :)
    Now I am wondering which option to choose for overpayment reserve to get my aim to have the opportunity in future to have 'no payment months' if needed.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    I miss the ability to withdraw from overpayment reserve as well as my Remortgage completion date is today :)
    Now I am wondering which option to choose for overpayment reserve to get my aim to have the opportunity in future to have 'no payment months' if needed.

Is cancelling your mortgage payment manually an option for required months.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • WorldCitizen
    Options
    Dandytf,
    as I know from Nationwide website, you need to call them to arrange the underpayments.

As about my question - which option to choose to have the opportunity in future to have underpayments or not payments up to 'overpayment reserve's' limit - I am still not sure...
    If you repay £500 or more then it says you have the option of:
    - reducing the term
    - reducing the monthly repayment
    - keeping the repayment and term the same.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Dandytf,
    as I know from Nationwide website, you need to call them to arrange the underpayments.

As about my question - which option to choose to have the opportunity in future to have underpayments or not payments up to 'overpayment reserve's' limit - I am still not sure...
    If you repay £500 or more then it says you have the option of:
    - reducing the term
    - reducing the monthly repayment
    - keeping the repayment and term the same.

Thanks +500 I'll keep quite.
    And -500 website says call -I did once and advised no need to call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure