Self Install Solar PV

As I have a loft conversion looming I'm considering doing a small self install PV system whilst we have scaffolding up and easy roof access.

7 x ~300W panels
Growatt 2500 Inverter
Fastensol Mount System

Current meter is old analogue type and will possibly run backwards under export conditions. If/when this is changed I will move over to a Solic immersion diverter.

I am in the trades, background in electronics and am comfortable with performing the installation to current 18th edition and schematics provided by the supplier. If its required I can get one of my sparks to sign off the installation.

My question is what am I <required> to do post installation ?

Do I still need to inform my DNO via G83 SSEG forms ?
Or is this only required for export ? (so if I ran the Solic diverter I would actually always be using all generated power...well until the immersion reached cutoff temperature!)

The G83 forms specifically ask about the MSC certification of the installer, which may raise a few eyebrows if not present, but I've been told that MSC is only required for FIT and incentives which are now all finished anyway, making it a bit pointless.

Would appreciate any advice on the best way to go about this so I avoid any problems.

Replies

• joefizzjoefizz Forumite
    676 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ring your DNO and ask.
    They may require the G83 forms for their own network planning and to be aware of any installation in case of outages or guys working on the line. Its more about that from their network end than measuring export.
    MSC certification may be required by your house insurer rather than the DNO (probably both).
    I did an upgrade myself but got an MSC installer sign off just to cover myself.

Spark can sign it all off grid but IIRC (Im in NI might be different here) MSC sign off will be required for connection to the grid regardless. Certainly the best way to do it to avoid any problems in the future.

DNO may also need to change your meter anyway, you may still be able to sell your export even if you dont get fit (again NI might have different rules)
  • HexaneHexane Forumite
    379 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    joefizz wrote: »
    DNO may also need to change your meter anyway
    Huh? I never heard of the DNO being responsible for this or being responsible for carrying this out.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • JKenHJKenH Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hexane wrote: »
    Huh? I never heard of the DNO being responsible for this or being responsible for carrying this out.

My meter ran backwards after solar PV install and my electricity supplier changed it using a subcontractor.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf and Kia Picanto)
  • joefizzjoefizz Forumite
    676 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hexane wrote: »

Requirement over here! We moved to measured export over a year ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides