We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Tyre explanation
Comments
-
17s are obviously the only size that will fit your wheels. 245 is the width, 45 is the height to width ratio, Z is the speed rating. You need to look in the handbook as to what tyres are original fits to the car. Everything I can see suggests 225/50/17 V or H even for the most powerful variants so it is likely someone has "sported up" your car by fitting wider tyres. Once you have found the correct size you can start looking at brands. What engine size / body style / exact model do you have ? Good guide to sizing here https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyres-for/audi/a4
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
What engine size / body style / exact model do you have ? Good guide to sizing here
Its a 2009 A4 saloon B8. 4 door automatic diesel 143 bhp
I didnt realise that the tyres I had on were wider. In fact thats what I was wanting to know, can I go even wider?I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p0 -
Possibly. The best place to ask that would be on an Audi specialist forum, they will know what will fit in the arch and on to that rim width. Your insurers may not be happy with it though.Its a 2009 A4 saloon B8. 4 door automatic diesel 143 bhp
I didnt realise that the tyres I had on were wider. In fact thats what I was wanting to know, can I go even wider?Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
Its a 2009 A4 saloon B8. 4 door automatic diesel 143 bhp
I didnt realise that the tyres I had on were wider. In fact thats what I was wanting to know, can I go even wider?
Why oh why do you want to fit even wider tyres on?
Wider the tyre the worse the cornering.
If you don't find joy in the snow,
remember you'll have less joy in your life
...but still have the same amount of snow!0 -
martinthebandit wrote: »Why oh why do you want to fit even wider tyres on?
Wider the tyre the worse the cornering.
No reason apat from wider looks better. But dont want to do it if it gives a problem.I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p0 -
Put your reg in here https://www.blackcircles.com/ will give you some idea0
-
Put my details in and given 2 options:Put your reg in here https://www.blackcircles.com/ will give you some idea
225/50 R17 Y94 and 245/45 R17 W95
So at least I seem to have the correct tyres on at the minuteI started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p0 -
You can often go up 10mm or so from the correct fitting, but I’ve never heard of people doing it for aesthetic reasons. I did it a while back to better protect my alloys, and you can do it to change the balance of the car, but 1cm makes zero difference to looks, especially on the base model car. No-one’s going to mistake it for an RS4.
I’d suggest that unless you have a really good reason to change that you get the recommended size and that you then base the choice on driving style.0 -
It will depend on what wheels you have.
Obviously the 245 x 45 x 17 is a recommended option its only 0.69% smaller rolling radius or 4.5mm less on height, makes no odds. An actual 50 mph that size would read 49.6 mph! Most cars read 2 to 3 mph more than actual compatred to GPS, so a good thing to do.
Tyre will squash more than 4.5mm and have a greater effect.0 -
Put my details in and given 2 options:
225/50 R17 Y94 and 245/45 R17 W95
So at least I seem to have the correct tyres on at the minute
I wouldnt go any wider than whats recommended there. You could run in to issues with buffing on the inner arches.
You might get away with a 255/40 R17 but i would check with your local tyre specialist RE: clearance, etc.
Personally i'd stick with the size thats on it though.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
