Bonus Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I only have 3 sales people in my team (it's a VIP lead department so requires a smaller dedicated team). In three separate months, I had one team member miss target, which in turn brought the average for those months down to 66%. Over the course of 6 months this meant my average was approx 83% thus missing the 95% target. However, the 'rules' don't state its averaged over a 6 month period that way and eludes to it being the overall, cumulative amount. Its so ambiguous in how it's worded they could change they way its paid.

I have to assume due to the climate atm they are cost saving where possible maybe?

Who manages the distribution of incoming leads?

How are you managing the under performances of that person?
    was it the same one each time?

once hit the monthly targets are there extra payments if they go over

If they get more then there is a conflict because for you once one hits target you want the best leads going to those that are yet to achieve target and once they have all hit target you want the rest of the leads carried over to close in the next month.

The current bonus scheme(for you) is structured to not maximise business early
  • Boombaclaart
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that 3 employees would have 3x6 months worth of targets between them, or 18 in total?

If so, 17/18 = 94.4% and that means it is literally impossible for you to hit 95%+ without actually hitting 100%.....

I'd certainly bring that point up at your meeting on Friday if true. It would quite simply be a misleading term in that you actually need 100%, and they are selling it like you can achieve 95%+ with one or more blips. In such a situation your interpretation of the bonus eligibility is surely the only correct one, because it is the only one which actually makes sense....

Depending on how they sold the job to you in the original advert, it might even full under the scope of reporting it to the Advertising Standards Authority.... (don't think they'd do anything for YOU, mind you)

I would also phone up ACAS to see what they think.

Ultimately, really not sure what sort of outcome you can expect I'm afraid but it does seem to be a bit of a con if my interpretation is correct... But there may, sadly, be a way for them to legally justify such an issue.

Could always speak to your Union, or join one if you aren't a member. Seems like the sort of thing they might be interested in.

Yeah that's exactly how they are working it out. The frustrating thing is they have never explained that is how it's calculated. I have spoken to every other manager and they are all under the impression it's based on the YTD cumulative sales vs YTD cumulative target.

It's really annoying because the targets are already a large increase vs LY sales. No other department is remotely near to achieving it either.

I know the outcome isn't going to be what I'm after but I not just going to roll over and take it. Gonna at the least let them know how demotivating it is to have the best performing department and not get any recognition for it.
  • Boombaclaart
    Options
    Who manages the distribution of incoming leads?

How are you managing the under performances of that person?
    was it the same one each time?

once hit the monthly targets are there extra payments if they go over

If they get more then there is a conflict because for you once one hits target you want the best leads going to those that are yet to achieve target and once they have all hit target you want the rest of the leads carried over to close in the next month.

The current bonus scheme(for you) is structured to not maximise business early

It's a retail environment so not lead focused.

End of period reviews are done with each member of the team to discuss positives and negatives. Each time the target was missed it was a different member of the team and in all cases was less than 2% away. Each person was aware the expectation was to pull the deficit back before the end of the half year. Each team member has awareness of exactly where they are YTD to the day (no other department tracks like this).

The team commission scheme does involve stretch targets with an increase in payout percentage. This obviously drives the team to individual success. There are also policies regarding handing sale s to other to achieve target, it's not allowed.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Too late to have reviews when people have already missed a target that effects your bonus,

bring them forward to mid period and 75% period and kick butt if you want your bonus on the current rules.

What's VIP lead?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport