Can I keep the same dentist when I move?

Options
I've already resigned myself to having to leave the GP we use but we're moving in a few weeks and I would like to keep the same dentist. Can I do that?

The waiting room is clean and fresh, the staff are pleasant and unhurried, they are good with the kids and the dentists are thorough and explain what's happening. I have never had any treatment but DH needs lots and we've both been treated very well. I'm loath to leave.

Do I have to sign us up somewhere else if we move? It's an NHS practise.
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    My dentist will only let you stay on their books if you are moving within the area. It is so oversubscribed (they have had to close the waiting list!) that they will check up on your contact details.

Not sure if individual dentists are allowed different policies? x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    We're not going to be in the area. Near enough to be prepared to travel though, given the horror stories I've heard about getting into another good NHS practise though. (We simply can't afford to go private - DH is self employed and we're on a VERY tight budget at the moment.)
  • queensway_boy
    Options
    Don't tell them your moving? i never get any appointments in the post anyway i just make a 6 month check ups as i leave the dentist or i just make one over the phone
  • vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've moved loads of times and always stayed with my dentist (NHS). I'm about 12 miles away. I wouldn't change either and if I moved very far away, I would seriously consider taking him with me! Seriously though, I would certainly stick with him even if I had to travel. Dunno if it makes a difference but I have regular check-ups, occasional treatment and never missed an appointment :A. I would hate the thought of going to someone new.
    Failing that, Is there a relative's address you could use?
    Good luck.
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Both OH and myself are still with our respective dentists and we currently live 40 miles away. I'm NHS and he's private. We were told that it wasn't a problem, and that unlike doctors where you have less choice, you can use whichever dentist you choose. I'm guessing it would only be a drawback if we needed the emergency dentist....

There are no NHS dentists available where we live - the last one who set up a practice nearby was inundated and had to close his lists within 48 hours.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have changed dentist a couple of times due to my practices closing or going private, until last year the nearest NHS dentist we could get was in Manchester which is over 20 miles away so I wouldn't worry to much G_R.

Good luck with the move!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    thanks everyone. I may not mention we're moving...is that terrible? :o
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options

LOL you could overlook mentioning it with the stress of moving with 2 small children in tow! ;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • brazilianwax
    Options
    I kept my Cardiff NHS dentist even though I'm in London during the week. They're great about it. They know when I ring for an appointment that I can only go in on Fridays, and are really accommodating.

Good luck with the move, Gingham :kiss:
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • queensway_boy
    Options

No more terrible than not being able to find a nhs dentist imo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts