PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's my first time budgeting for food and I feel lost and overwhelmed

Options
2»

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd start with keeping till receipts, that way you've got an accurate record of where you're going. Personally I'd start a massive spreadsheet, but that's just me - it doesn't have to be a complicated process. Once you've figured out how to shave a couple of quid off the weekly bill, then more inspiration for savings should follow

I love a spreadsheet too:) If you pay for groceries by card then look at your statement(s) for the last couple of months to see how much has been spent in the supermarkets. Or if you pay cash see how much cash you withdraw each month. This is only half the story though. I have always tracked my spending but noticed that "food" was creeping up so started to look at the receipts and reaslised I had got into the habit of buying a book here, a magazine here, even things like packs of socks which are often good value. So I started to put the figures in the proper categories on my spreadsheet and realised my food bill was not too bad but I was spending in these other categories. I was ok with that but at least I knew where the money really was going. I also realised that I have so many books unread that I have instigated a bookbuying ban until after Xmas (at least).
    You may not want to go into this level of analysis (my kids often roll their eyes at my lists) but it can help to just be a bit more aware and see where savings can be made. I was surprised at how much I spend on cat food but as he is an old boy who tends to be sick if I change brands I am willing to bear that but look around for offers.
    By the way, you say your household income has drastically reduced. Do make sure you are claiming for any financial help you or your mother are entitled to.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    I love a spreadsheet too:) If you pay for groceries by card then look at your statement(s) for the last couple of months to see how much has been spent in the supermarkets. Or if you pay cash see how much cash you withdraw each month. This is only half the story though. I have always tracked my spending but noticed that "food" was creeping up so started to look at the receipts and reaslised I had got into the habit of buying a book here, a magazine here, even things like packs of socks which are often good value. So I started to put the figures in the proper categories on my spreadsheet and realised my food bill was not too bad but I was spending in these other categories. I was ok with that but at least I knew where the money really was going. I also realised that I have so many books unread that I have instigated a bookbuying ban until after Xmas (at least).
    You may not want to go into this level of analysis (my kids often roll their eyes at my lists) but it can help to just be a bit more aware and see where savings can be made. I was surprised at how much I spend on cat food but as he is an old boy who tends to be sick if I change brands I am willing to bear that but look around for offers.
    By the way, you say your household income has drastically reduced. Do make sure you are claiming for any financial help you or your mother are entitled to.

I'm also a fan of the spreadsheet and I also categorise "extras" in Aldi as Gifts, House/Garden, Clothes/shoes etc. So as to not skew Groceries spends.

I don't NEED to budget, but I still enjoy it!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Starting immediately to reduce your spend is likely doomed to failure . As other have said you need to first understand your current spend on all food (incl takeaways,meals out and if you go out to work your lunches) plus other household items excluding utility bills.

I suggest that for a 4 week period you don't radically change anything. Instead kept a detailed log of all your purchases and were from. It can be a spreadsheet or simple notebook. Once you have this data you can then analyse it and make informed decisions/choices.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    Starting immediately to reduce your spend is likely doomed to failure . As other have said you need to first understand your current spend on all food (incl takeaways,meals out and if you go out to work your lunches) plus other household items excluding utility bills.

I suggest that for a 4 week period you don't radically change anything. Instead kept a detailed log of all your purchases and were from. It can be a spreadsheet or simple notebook. Once you have this data you can then analyse it and make informed decisions/choices.
    Or you could analyse the last 4 weeks spend now and start saving straight away.

The monthly Grocery Challenge threads are very handy - the problem was sticking to it actually made a bit unwell, so low was my monthly expenditure on food.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    With the pet food, look out for offers on pet food especially if you've got the room for bulkier buys. DS1 has a pets at home card, so gets offers posted to him for gecko food and dog food, plus their magazine is free with the card and has money off vouchers in it (not that the generic vouchers come in useful for gecko food, it seems to be mostly cat food).

Or he gets the geckos' food from an independent shop in town that is cheaper (though less convenient to get to).
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Greenshanks
    Options
    Interesting thread, especially about the food in the bin bit. Ive never thrown food away in over 40 years and have always "meal planned" it's a term I came across recently and didn't realise I was so trendy :T I used to print out the weekly list and put in on the fridge door. I shop for myself, hubby and 3 cats. I buy pet food online in bulk packs, with free delivery and find it far cheaper. It's really easy to do a web search of products and find the cheapest. Since being made redundant and finding myself out of work I've switched mainly to shopping in Aldi but i do still do monthly online grocery shops usually from Ocado or wherever I can get free delivery. Whilst I was working I didn't want to waste time on shopping and always had it delivered. It's very easy to budget when ordering online, you see the total of your shop and can adjust. Most supermarkets offer free delivery of some sort. Since switching to picking the food off the shelves myself at Aldi I do find I've saved a lot on everyday items, veg, meat, cereals, yoghurts, eggs, cleaning products etc. Anyway I'd definitely suggest trying to meal plan and shop only for what's on your list. If you want to spend less consider switching to cheaper meal options
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to give you some ideas:

I have a blackboard in the kitchen where I add items as soon as I finish something (I always have a back-up: 1 in use, 1 in storage, at least).
    I have kept track of how much we use in a month, and made that my basic shopping/pantry list. For instance, we use 1 pot of peanut butter, and 2 small floats of butter in a month, so those items should be in my pantry at the minimum; if there are less, I add them to my shopping list.

I have set myself a maximum price to pay for fruit & veg: €3/kg. This also ensures we eat seasonally, and I can occasionally splurge (for instance when strawberries are 3,50/kg).
    I plan for leftovers, for instance I boil a lot of potatoes at once (since pealing and boiling them takes the most time), eat them boiled the first day, fried the second, and mashed the third or fourth (you may want a change from potatoes for a day :)).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Practice with the animals first :rotfl:
    Dog food can be mixed with cooked carrots to go further, dogs love gravy and some leftovers (not potato though).
    Cats are more fussy (don't I know it)- I have 2 cats and budget £5 a week for them.

Definitely cut out meals out and takeaways. One meal out / takeaway can easily cost as much as a full week's food budget (the bit for the adults).

Good luck !
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JenL wrote: »
    I will admit right away that I've never properly budgeted for groceries, but it has now come to a point where I have to start as circumstances have significantly reduced to income. My household consists of 2 adults, 2 cats, a large dog, a cockatiel and a snake. I'd estimate that I currently spend about £15 per week for the animals. I've no idea how much I spend on food for my mother and I but I'd guess that it's at least £50, without counting any takeaways and eating out (seeing that written down is a bit embarrassing).

I really don't know what would be considered an appropriate budget for two adults for a weeks worth of food. Also I know I should try and figure exactly what I'm spending and work out how to reduce it but the task does seem quite overwhelming. I'm not even sure where to start.

I would appreciate some advice about how a complete novice budgeter can get started.

Hello.

To answer one of your questions, last week’s episode of Eat Well For Less quoted approximately £60 per week as the average food spend for a couple. In my household, there’s two adults and our monthly budget for food is £120 for general groceries, £40 for the meat fund, £40 for the Bulk-&-Booze fund and £10 for Christmas. We usually buy meat 3-4 times a year from a butcher and freeze it. General groceries include everything bought at the supermarket: toiletries, cleaning products, laundry detergent, food, toilet paper, sanitary products, etc. We eat really well, but it’s rarely meat-and-two-veg, and we take leftovers to work for lunch. (I dish them up at the same time as dishing up dinner, so there’s always enough left over.)

Please come and join us on the Grocery Thread. Everyone’s budget is different but we’re a supportive bunch.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2019 at 6:28PM
    Options
    JenL wrote: »
    I shop mainly in Morrisons but get some things in Tesco and Waitrose. My bits from Waitrose are mainly goats/sheep cheeses, goats and soy yogurts and goats milk (my mother can't have cows dairy but can use goats and sheep dairy). I do meal plan a little and I shop with a generalised list. My shopping consists of a mix of big brands and mid range brands.

Download supermarket apps and compare price per kilo. Waitrose is pricey unless you have John Lewis staff discount.

Goats cheese log from Morrisons deli counter. Lidl and Aldi have Manchego (ewes) cheese PDO and French Roquefort PDO (ewes). bigger Asda have pecorino (ewes) cheese. Greek feta cheese PDO (ewes/ goat) is in Tesco, Lidl, Aldi etc.

Yes I love traditional cheeses. :D

Stick to large tubs of yoghurt rather than small flavoured. Soy milk and soy yoghurt is not naturally nutritious so are arguably not value for money.

HTH!

If your cats eat chunks in jelly type foods .... Morrisons, Lidl and others sell Butchers Classic and Butchers Really Meaty in large 400g tins, six pack for £3. The ingredients are high quality for obligate carnivores and it is apparently very tasty. Wilko are surprisingly good for high meat cat treats too.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport