LNER first class lounges

Hi everyone. New forum member here. I have a question:

I'd like to know if anyone else on here has been turned away from one of the First Class lounges at LNER stations (aka east coast main line) despite being in possession of a valid ticket?

Reason I ask is that I've been turned away twice in the past 2 months from the one at Leeds station, with a variety of reasons given. After I complained, I was assured that it wouldn't happen again, but it did.

LNER website and social media teams are giving out info that First Class Anytime tickets for travel on the LNER network are valid for use in the First Class lounges, irrespective of price paid or distance travelled. But in my experience, if you turn up at Leeds First Class lounge with a First Class Anytime ticket for a journey between Wakefield and Leeds (cost £11.20 return or £5.60 each way), you will be turned away.

Reasons given to me include: (1) Ticket cost less than £10 (this rule is supposed to apply to Advance tickets only, not Anytime tickets). (2) Leeds lounge can only be used by travellers from Doncaster or further away (contrary to what stated on website). (3) Ticket could have been bought from another operator (it wasn't). (4) We don't care what the LNER social media team says, we work here in this station and they don't. (5) OK it might say that on the LNER website, but my boss says I have to do xyz.

As you can imagine, I'm getting quite miffed at not being allowed to access a facility that's supposed to be included in the cost of the ticket.

I've already complained (again) to LNER and am awaiting a response, but would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience, just to see how frequently it's happening.

Thanks. :-)

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,469
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I doubt you will get much of a response as I can't imagine its a popular ticket.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Surprising...

Not long ago I enjoyed an hour relaxing in the rather crowded lounge at Manchester. My first class ticket was to Stockport, and again cost around five pounds.

I can only suggest that you follow the LNER complaints procedure and if necessary escalate to Passenger Focus.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Hi everyone. New forum member here. I have a question:

I'd like to know if anyone else on here has been turned away from one of the First Class lounges at LNER stations (aka east coast main line) despite being in possession of a valid ticket?

Reason I ask is that I've been turned away twice in the past 2 months from the one at Leeds station, with a variety of reasons given. After I complained, I was assured that it wouldn't happen again, but it did.

LNER website and social media teams are giving out info that First Class Anytime tickets for travel on the LNER network are valid for use in the First Class lounges, irrespective of price paid or distance travelled. But in my experience, if you turn up at Leeds First Class lounge with a First Class Anytime ticket for a journey between Wakefield and Leeds (cost £11.20 return or £5.60 each way), you will be turned away.

Reasons given to me include: (1) Ticket cost less than £10 (this rule is supposed to apply to Advance tickets only, not Anytime tickets). (2) Leeds lounge can only be used by travellers from Doncaster or further away (contrary to what stated on website). (3) Ticket could have been bought from another operator (it wasn't). (4) We don't care what the LNER social media team says, we work here in this station and they don't. (5) OK it might say that on the LNER website, but my boss says I have to do xyz.

As you can imagine, I'm getting quite miffed at not being allowed to access a facility that's supposed to be included in the cost of the ticket.

I've already complained (again) to LNER and am awaiting a response, but would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience, just to see how frequently it's happening.

Thanks. :-)
    Did you get a response?

If you still have no response, you could try posting on a forum that is dedicated to fares and ticketing on the UK rail network, which is frequently accessed by LNER managers. I am not allowed to link directly to such a forum, though someone else may choose to, or you could do a search for it using the search engine of your choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure