Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wyrdskein wrote: »
    She is 75.

So she was in her early 50s - middle age - when the Internet started to become part of everyday life.

She can either sort it out herself like a proudly independent person or admit it's beyond her and grant you or someone else power of attorney. She can't have it both ways.

Her age is irrelevant. As discussed in this thread there are 90 year olds who would find it trivial to open a bank account. If she's lost capacity to look after her own finances there's no shame in that, there are 20 year olds in that position. But ignoring the issue and blaming the Post Office won't help her.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    It is possibly a mental health condition.

Where do you draw the line between eccentricity / stubbornness and a mental health condition?

I posit that if a GP wouldn't give you a pill for it then it's not a mental health condition. Somebody who told their doctor they didn't like Direct Debit wouldn't be given a pill. Maybe. Not without a bigger underlying problem such as chronic anxiety being diagnosed.
  • sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    She’s only 75!? Thought she was going to be 100! My grandmother was nearly 90 and bless her not always the sharpest of people, but she had a bank account for yonks as well as saving accounts, used a mobile etc. My two living grandparents are nearly 80, again both have accounts and mobiles. Unless your mother is suffering from a serious mental health condition, there’s no reason she can’t learn to use a bank account and it’s beyond me as to why the dwp should be responsible for helping her.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line between eccentricity / stubbornness and a mental health condition?

I posit that if a GP wouldn't give you a pill for it then it's not a mental health condition. Somebody who told their doctor they didn't like Direct Debit wouldn't be given a pill. Maybe. Not without a bigger underlying problem such as chronic anxiety being diagnosed.

The extreme paranoia
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    It is possibly a mental health condition.
    This has been suggested by a few of us who know him. There are other (non-monetary) traits in his behaviour that have been getting more pronounced too. I believe he has OCD and it is getting worse. He would never dream of believing that he has anything wrong with him and refuses to seek medical attention for anything even though his general health is clearly declining. His friends have just about given up trying to help him now.
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
  • squirrelpie
    Options
    I'm in my mid sixties and I happily use online banking and use ATMs to get cash. But I still go into the branch to pay in cheques and do some other things, simply to increase footfall in the branch and reduce the likelihood of it closing. And I don't use telephone banking because I hate telephones, especially robot systems.

As others have said, it seems to be the easiest and best course for the OP's mother is to open a bank account with whichever bank is most convenient (or with whichever bank or building society has the philosophy she finds least objectionable) and then use it just like her post office account at the post office counter.
  • davidr1964
    Options
    I refuse to use self-service tills in shops. I suppose this means I have mental problems.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    davidr1964 wrote: »
    I refuse to use self-service tills in shops. I suppose this means I have mental problems.

No,more your choice of example.....
  • davidr1964
    Options
    Wow, thanks!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My mother in law is ninety four , has all her marbles but struggles to write cheques etc as her husband was of the generation and thinking it was a man's job to handle the finances and not ""bother" his wife with it .
    We just help her where she needs it. If she needs to go to the bank (she likes to have cash in the house no matter how much we say don't) or has a concern we help her out. It's what families do. It certainly isn't any business of the state unless she was incapable or had no one to help especially at *only* 75.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family