»

'I ran up £1,000s in debt while suffering from depression... now I'm digging myself out of it'

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

'I ran up £1,000s in debt while suffering from depression... now I'm digging myself out of it'

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
2 replies 4K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin
105 posts
MSE Staff
Second Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I usually write blogs as the 'MoneySavingIdiot', chronicling my attempts to practice what we preach at MSE (the last one was on switching bank accounts). But as this is a more personal blog, written ahead of World Mental Health Day 2019 on Thursday, I thought it would be better coming from MSE Kelvin. So, here's my tale of my own mental health struggles and how I've battled credit card debt...

Read the full blog: 'I ran up £1,000s in debt while suffering from depression... now I'm digging myself out of it'

Replies

• edited 9 October 2019 at 7:00AM
    adindasadindas
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 October 2019 at 7:00AM

"I owed around £15,000 in total and, while that may not sound like a lot of money to some, it was to me. Without a job, I couldn't cough up the minimum payments each month any more than I could sneeze diamonds."

I didn't end up getting the full £9,000 credit limit I'd applied for, but shifting £6,650 of credit card debt from over 20% interest to 0% interest was better than a poke in the eye with a sticky stick."

That highligted bit is very interesting.
    I wonder which creditcard company is willing to give you credit of £6,650 if you do not have a job and you already have a debt of £15,000 ?
  • MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin
    105 posts
    MSE Staff
    Second Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    MSE Staff
    Afternoon adindas,

Thanks for your comment. I actually had a job when I applied for that credit, as explained in the paragraph below the second one you quoted:

Around the same time I got a new job, started paying as much as I could afford off each card every month (about £250 in total), and things were looking up.

Probably could have made that a bit clearer, but it was tricky to write as there was a lot to get in as the blog covers a few years.

Hope that helps,

MSE Kelvin :beer:
    adindas wrote: »

"I owed around £15,000 in total and, while that may not sound like a lot of money to some, it was to me. Without a job, I couldn't cough up the minimum payments each month any more than I could sneeze diamonds."

I didn't end up getting the full £9,000 credit limit I'd applied for, but shifting £6,650 of credit card debt from over 20% interest to 0% interest was better than a poke in the eye with a sticky stick."

That highligted bit is very interesting.
    I wonder which creditcard company is willing to give you credit of £6,650 if you do not have a job and you already have a debt of £15,000 ?