Am I The Only Person Who Doesn't Use Open Banking and Doesn't Want To Download Banking Apps?

Options
Question is in the thread title.

Just wondering if I was unusual...
I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yup same.

If I need to check bank A then I’ll use bank A’s website or app.

Likewise if I need to check banks B, C, D through Z.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another here.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use my banks' websites - don't bother with apps for anything
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    I use my banks' websites - don't bother with apps for anything

Ditto.

Tapping and swiping on a smart phone to deal with banking transactions - favoured by most of the young apparently - frightens me to death. It it's ever obligatory to use only phone apps, especially with all the accounts I've got and transactions I make, I may opt out altogether, convert to cash and bury myself in £50 notes.
  • pavane
    pavane Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I am not dead set against apps. I use some with some accounts where I want the convenience. In fact I even have app only bank accounts which don't have online banking. However I am vehemently against being forced to use an app for example for authentication. Do you want to immediately lose my custom? Force me to authenticate with fingerprint through your app with no other choice like OTP. It's being forced without option when there is no good reason that is the problem. Unsurprisingly I also don't like some banks like Lloyds trying to use the voice recognition. Every time I use online banking I have to sit through the recording as they try to convert me. I don't want it! Leave me alone!
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've tried to use open banking. Can't seem to get it to work. It works sometimes, and other times bank B cannot contact bank A. So I don't bother with it.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pavane wrote: »
    ...I also don't like some banks like Lloyds trying to use the voice recognition. Every time I use online banking I have to sit through the recording as they try to convert me. I don't want it! Leave me alone!
    Are you referring to the app? I only ask because I have a couple of Lloyds accounts and I'll logon several times every month via PC. I've never had a request asking me for a voice recording...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I don't 'refuse' to use an app, i just prefer not to. It's not an age thing for me, i'm in my mid 30s. I just much prefer using a website on a PC for it. Some times i have to use an app though. Some are quite decent for what they are, others are poor.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apps go onto a small, insecure, phone.
    People take phones out of the house and they get dropped, fall out of pockets, get pickpocketed, get physically robbed for them.

Why'd anybody have direct access to their life's wealth on such an insecure thing?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do use over a dozen banking apps but none for the purposes to peak at the balances of my other accounts.

I absolutely love the banking apps as it takes me a fraction of the time to log into my bank accounts, and with most of them, I can do everything I need to do through the app. Very occasionally, I still have to use online banking (e.g. with M&S, to set up a new payee) because the app is a bit backwards. Overall, however, for me, they are a massive step in the right direction.

Prior to open banking coming onstream, I used an account aggregator for over a decade. It gave me an up-to-date view of most of my accounts, and also let me log into any of the accounts with one click. Sadly, with the new-fangled open banking, none of the aggregators now offers the login functionality. They are also treacle slow, and the presentation of the data is absolutely awful. Each and every single one I have tried (Emma, Yolt, Money Dashboard, Barclays, Lloyds) essentially has the same issue. Additionally, they still don't offer access to all the accounts I had in my treasured Aggregator. I won't be trying any of these apps anytime soon again as I feel I have wasted enough time on them for the rest of my life :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure