I am about to move to Durham

Options
Hello.
I am planning to move to Durham from Grantham in Lincolnshire. It is a bit far so before I move in there I would like to know if it is easy to find job there. I only have Class C driving license. I was trying to loook around the web searching for job offers avaiable and I found some, but I wish to find someone who acctually lives in Durham, so I could find out more.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello.
    I am planning to move to Durham from Grantham in Lincolnshire. It is a bit far so before I move in there I would like to know if it is easy to find job there. I only have Class C driving license. I was trying to loook around the web searching for job offers avaiable and I found some, but I wish to find someone who acctually lives in Durham, so I could find out more.

What kind of job? Being vague is hardly helpful
  • Zwijam_dywan
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What kind of job? Being vague is hardly helpful

I do apologise and like I mentioned I only have Category C driving license, so it would be Lorry Driving. Other than that anything that does not require qualifications.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    there are probably jobs there, im sure you could work for an agency while looking for a permanent job.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be very surprised if there is literally no work in Durham, though I would probably have researched work opportunities (and maybe with a view to securing something) before deciding to move there?
  • Its like anywhere really, there are jobs, but depends what you are after really. I live near Durham in another city and there is plenty out there it depends on what you are prepared to do.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go and book into a B&B in the part of Durham you plan to move to and do some local job hunting for a couple of days - only way to find out what might be on offer/suitable for you.
  • Zwijam_dywan
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if there is literally no work in Durham, though I would probably have researched work opportunities (and maybe with a view to securing something) before deciding to move there?

I would be surprised too but you never know and it is always a good idea to ask someone who might know something before making such a decision moving there. And this is why I am here to find someone who can tell me a little more. I would surly start from job agencies as it is quickest way to get job and lookg for something else meanwhile.

MarkN88 wrote: »
    Its like anywhere really, there are jobs, but depends what you are after really. I live near Durham in another city and there is plenty out there it depends on what you are prepared to do.

I am mainly looking for Class C job, but if nessessary I can take any other hard job, I don't mind it.
    I can do even gas station job needed, I got 2yr experience, but I don't miss it. :rotfl:

Still_Dave wrote: »
    It’s a decent sized town, in an area with a decent size population, next to the regional Centre, so there are loads of jobs. Shops, factories, warehouses, taxi driving, and so on. There are also colleges who need trades, ground staff etc.

You’ve the airport, council work, laboring, all that sort of thing too.

Thank you a lot. It made me feel much better about moving to Durham.
    Six months ago I was doing some researches, looking for a place to move in and also to buy a house inexpensive way. I liked Durham and also noticed that it is possible to buy a cheap house in surrounding villiges. It made me think why it is so cheap and I started to worring that there might be no work or very little job opportunities.
  • dickydonkin
    Options
    I have lived in Durham all of my life and in the main, it is a very picturesque city, however, like most regions of the country, there are problems.

Parts of the city itself are grim - North Road in particular. This area is very topical at the minute with us locals due to the smackheads, homeless, beggars and drunks annoying visitors and locals alike with their threatening and abusive behaviour - particularly around the bus station.

Choose the villages you wish to live very carefully - don't be tempted by the low property prices in surrounding areas - they are low for a reason.

That said, there are some affluent areas around the city where property prices can be on the high side.

Many of the villages were founded on our coal industry which is sadly no more and lack of investment in these once thriving areas has taken its toll.

The University does provide a lot of jobs, however, the student population seems to have taken precedent over the locals as far as our council is concerned.

As for working opportunities, then like a lot of the country, we have a zero hour/temporary/casual worker economy.

Yes, there are jobs, and as you are looking for a driving position, you should be fine as long as you have the experience and as someone has already suggested, register with agencies as soon as you arrive and that should at least get your foot in the door somewhere.

There are some beautiful areas around Durham and you will find the people very friendly, but do your research before you commit yourself with where you want to live and work.

You will enjoy Durham, but as I alluded to earlier, it does have issues.
  • vroombroom
    vroombroom Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    I live about 15 mins from Durham and it's a stunning city, with the coast and countryside near by. I've been up here 10 years and absolutely love it.
    :j:jOur gorgeous baby boy born 2nd May 2011 - 12 days overdue!!:j:j
  • Miss_Moneysaver
    Options
    I have lived in County Durham all of my life. I'm a bit further south tha n Durham City but I used to work there a few years ago. It is a nice city (very historic) but, as someone else has said, there are rougher areas. Yes, houses are very cheap up here compared to further south but research your areas well!
    I'm sure you will have no problem finding a job either!
    There are lots of beautiful areas close to Durham such as the North Yorkshire moors and Northumberland and cities like Newcastle and York aren't too far away!
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport