PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Sunday 29th September

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's very wet and windy here again today. I am currently being entertained by my grandson playing a game on his tablet and giving me a running commentary :D. Steve and the rest of the family are still asleep lucky things apart from poor Phoebe who left for work at 5.30am.

I will be chopping up a lump of beef in a minute to throw in the slow cooker along with some peppers, tomatoes and a load of herbs and spices to make Cuban beef from the Pinch of Nom cookbook. It's a new recipe to me but I see lots of people make it and then rave about it on Face book. Hopefully it will be as delicious as people say.

The house is looking a bit worse for wear so I shall be chivvying everyone to have a bit of a clean up this afternoon. Once the floor has been vacuumed and the rooms have been dusted it will look a lot better. There are spiders everywhere and while I am not afraid of them, I will be evicting them.

My foot is still agony to walk on which is making my life really hard. I will be talking to my doctor about it tomorrow and will hopefully be prescribed some more effective pain relief. The tablets I have at the moment are not even touching it, the only time it stops hurting is when I am in bed but that is not any good to me as I have things to do.

Right I am off to chop up meat and veg now I can sit on my perching stool. The only problem is I cannot reach my slow cooker as it lives on top of the fridge freezer and I am too short to get it down. Maybe I will wait until Steve gets up.

Hope you all have a pleasant day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread Dumpling.

It is tipping down here, my patio could be more accurately described as a pond. Hoping that it will drain soon and stop at least for long enough to feed the birds.

No particular plans today, I'll be making Sunday dinner this evening, roast pork, apple sauce and all the usual suspects.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks DUMPLING. We've had heavy rain too and it's not really forecast to improve, although we have respite at the moment.

I have made a monumental decision re my scalded leg. I have decided to leave off the dressing today! It's 8 days since the huge blister burst and I think at last it's looking safe to do so. Lessons have been learned and I will never leave a ladle sticking out of a pot of boiling liquid again!

There's been trouble at t'mill with DD and her obnoxious ex. Usual story, him going out and getting wasted and then texting her through the night with irrational demands. He has never been able able to handle drink and never learns. It brings out the worst in him. It has all upset me and I am feeling emotional enough just now.

No fixed plans for today though the pottering jobs are accumulating. And also my stocks of soup in the freezer are dwindling so might get a big pan of Lentil & Bacon on the go at some point. (And keep the ladle out of harm's way!!)

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad and absent friends. Thinking of TAFF. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • camelot1001
    Options
    Morning all

It's still dry here but doesn't look too promising. Yesterday was lovely, all the washing dried outside and put straight away, bedding back on the bed.

Spent all morning with the blasted washing poles, they certainly were put in to stay. Removed two with not too much problem but the concrete around the last one is proving impossible. Neighbour cut the pole off and another neighbour says he has a breaker, otherwise I'll just rebury the concrete.

Saw little Sophie yesterday and we went for a walk - I got to push the pram which was lovely, DD is looking great, I think she enjoyed the fresh air too.

More shifting earth today if the weather is OK, must also clear out the boiler cupboard as the boiler is being serviced tomorrow morning. The freezer is in there and I haven't cleaned under it for some time!

Hope your finger is healing csarina, have a good holiday.

Happy Sunday, take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,073 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning folks.

It's damp here too, not sure if there is rain still.

I had a quiet afternoon once DM's visitor was here. They spend many hours sitting quietly doing the Times crossword and then playing Scrabble. Once he starts to get ready to leave things get busier with his packing up his things, me clearing away the tea tray and them doing the usual long goodbye. And then I have to wave him off from the window too.

Yesterday I phoned the domiciliary optician to ask about DM's reading glasses, he's had them nearly three weeks. Upshot is he's coming early this afternoon with them. That'll make things more comfortable for DM.

For a little while my Echo dot has been playing up, stopping, starting, losing connection etc. It was so annoying that I ordered a new one at about 1pm yesterday - it was delivered at 4.45pm. There are some benefits to living in the city after all!

Now it's probably time to start my day properly. Usually on a Sunday I try to just slob around but that won't happen today.

My thoughts are with those having a tough time. Happy Sunday to all.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all,
    It feels like we've had torrential rain for days,some roads were flooded yesterday when we took theDGC to their football & swimming.So far our road is clear thanks to the lovely new pipes under it that were installed nearly 4 years ago now, after the flood/road collapse. Sometimes I walk down the steps at the front just to see how much water is being diverted into the river & it's very reassuring.I have no doubt at all it would have happened again without all the work,the 16 months of disruption were well worth it!
    I really don't fancy taking Ly1a out in this :eek:,fortunately she hasn't budged yet.
    I'm about to put the slow cooker on too dumpling. The farmer where DH stores his stuff gave him a massive boneless leg of lamb on Friday,which was lovely of him. DSons aren't too keen so they can have something else if they want. I think I'll do apple and blackberry crumble too.
    Right I hope you all have a good day despite the weather :eek:xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • Raining when we woke up, but it seems to have cleared for now, so load of laundry out, will keep an eye on it in case it decides to pluert again. Out in the garden hanging out the clothes our village Church bells were ringing, first time we have heard them for ages. The Church only has services twice a month in the morning.

Today will be spent getting everything sorted for tomorrow, clothes will be folded and put in the case, Need a bag for sundry items and have the cool box and also the bag at the ready. Rolls will be taken out of the freezer and put in the fridge for tomorrows supper. I also plan to slice some tomato and cucumber to take to have with tomorrow nights supper. The rest of the tomato's will be bagged and in the freezer.

Need to prep the veg for tonights pork supper.........
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Afternoon all. We came back early from our holiday in Wales on Friday as it was very wet. Meh. Yesterday we took DD and dgs grocery shopping and OH took dgs for a fish finger happy meal as he announced he was hungry.

DD bought the shop as we hadn't taken them for a supermarket shop for a couple of weeks. Lol. They are off to Moorfields tomorrow to see if his operation for glaucoma has worked. If it hasn't then he will have a further operation on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

TA hope your burn is healing. Csarina have a good break. Dumpling enjoy yur stew.

Well have a good day folks. Hugs and spoons all round.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family