Counsellor Training - Lincolnshire

Options
Hi all,
I'm *hoping* somebody can help with my query please...
I live in Lincolnshire and really want to go in to counselling. I've spoken with a few places in the Lincoln area as to how they work with training etc and they are all so different I dont know where to start!

Has anybody gone down this road and able to offer even a little advice? I'm completely bamboozled by it all and feel I'm wasting time, I'd like to get signed up to something soon!

Thank you :-)

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you need to do a lot more research to find out what is available, and then think hard about what exactly you want to achieve. What sort of counselling do you want to do? What experience do you have that would help you to reach your goals? Ever done any volunteering in a role which involves counselling? Just 'really wanting' to do something without thinking it through isn't going to lead to the best outcome for you, however keen you are to 'get signed up to something soon'.

Do the groundwork thoroughly before you begin and with luck you should be able to narrow down the options for yourself and find the perfect course. Loads of useful info if you google on 'become a counsellor'.
  • Please ensure when you do any training that you do it with a provider that offers a proper qualification and not just some random certificate they have created themselves.

Its best to try and do this through a local college if you can.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    I would endorse this advice. I used to work in mental health and employed a lot of counsellors - some of the courses out there accept people for training who we would never had considered employing.

I'm not a total fan of BACP but in this case I think they have sound advice. https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    BACP level 2 and 3 can be done at night school while you work. Then you know enough to decide if you want to do level 4 which is a little more demanding.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport