Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Prize via Thomas Cook.

andrew71andrew71 Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
Early this year I won a holiday to Orlando for six people via Heart (Global) Radio.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6008804
The prize was via Thomas Cook. Could the station now turn around and say the prize is null and void because of Thomas Cook? Or could they transfer it to another travel company, eg Virgin Holidays? Virgin have the flights on the same day we wanted to travel and also the hotel we were going to be staying in.
I understand that there's people who have spent money on holidays and flights and people who have lost jobs. My thoughts are with those staff.
However I am dreading telling the young family members including one who has autism that our holiday won't be happening.
As this ever happened to anybody else? For instance night street white goods store (Comet for example) going bust who your prize was from.
2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 £250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
Craft Show Tickets
£500 That's Life mag.
Signed Manchester United Top

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I'm assuming the prize was supplied by Thomas Cook , not the station.

Think sadly it's lost unless the station do a goodwill gesture
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • andrew71andrew71 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Heart Radio rang me originally to inform me I had won. They then passed my details onto NBC/Universal to arrange dates I wished to book.
    It was only then once Universal had confirmed the dates Thomas Cook contacted me.
    2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 £250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
    Craft Show Tickets
    £500 That's Life mag.
  • Sylar82Sylar82 Forumite
    107 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Do you have a contact for NBC/Universal?
    Thanks to all who post competitions.

Best wins: Dickinson's Real Deal, Glastonbury, Route Du Rock, tiny Suede gig
  • lukgs7lukgs7 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Try contacting the radio station for the updates. Hope they will compensate.
    Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing ;)
  • LizB62LizB62 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sadly nobody on here can help you - you need to contact the radio station plus NBC/Universal.

You might be lucky and they might pay for alternative flights but you probably need to prepare to be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure that travel insurance won't help as you didn't pay for this trip, it was a win :(
    2022 wins: PG Tips Platinum Jubilee tea caddy
    2021 wins: matchbox seedball, 2 tiny pots of peanut butter, Honeybuns GF goodies
    Best win ever: Trip to the Galapagos Islands in 2010
  • Bobble5366Bobble5366 Forumite
    719 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    oh my, really hope the radio station will sort an alternative out for you - I think they will - fingers crossed for you.
  • Snow_IglooSnow_Igloo Forumite
    120 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh no. I hope they sort something out for you, please do keep us updated
  • edited 23 September 2019 at 10:30AM
    mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 September 2019 at 10:30AM
    andrew71 wrote: »
    Heart Radio rang me originally to inform me I had won. They then passed my details onto NBC/Universal to arrange dates I wished to book.
    It was only then once Universal had confirmed the dates Thomas Cook contacted me.

Doesn't really matter when Thomas Cook contacted you as they were the travel provider mentioned in the T&Cs and not simply chosen after the competition closed, if it had been the latter then it would almost certainly have been down to the promoters to make other arrangements.

As it is they may
    Void the prize
    Leave it to you to arrange and pay for your own flights with the rest of the prize standing as is
    Hopefully they will cover the cost of arranging alternative flights themselves (the arrangement with Thomas Cook may well have been for TC to provide the flights free in exchange for promotional consideration)

This is from their general T&Cs
    36. We (including the promotion partners) will, of course, try to provide the prize as described. Occasionally, circumstances beyond our reasonable control might make this difficult or impossible. For example, if a prize involves a meet and greet with a celebrity they may be unwell or their commitments may change, or if the prize involves travel or tickets to an event, weather conditions or other circumstances might mean that plans are disrupted, postponed or cancelled. When we can’t deliver a prize as described, we will always do our best to provide you with an alternative which we consider to be a reasonable replacement in all the circumstances. We will consult with you when we do so because we don’t want you to be disappointed, but you understand that the replacement may not be identical to the original prize.
  • andrew71andrew71 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    ***Update***
    Hopefully everything is still on. I've been emailing Universal Studios who the prize is with and it seems that the only part of the prize Thomas Cook was involved with was the flights. Universal Studios had done the hotel and park tickets directly and not via TC. So fingers crossed it's just a case of moving us to another flight (Virgin, KLM and Air France run a flight on the same day)
    So fingers crossed tightly we're still going to Orlando. :j:j
    Craft Show Tickets
    £500 That's Life mag.
  • Bobble5366Bobble5366 Forumite
    719 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's great news for you x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023