Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Bang goes your property crash doomsters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49752883

This must be getting so financially and emotionally painful for them, how many time were they warned.

Comments

• Don't forget that they hit the big bear button everyday.

Wrong about calling the house price crash yesterday? No problem - call it today as well.

Of course they'll be correct eventually and invited on to Bloomberg TV as the person that called the crash.
  • Not great for savers, my 1 year bond is ending and the rates are even lower now.
  • Don't forget that they hit the big bear button everyday.

Wrong about calling the house price crash yesterday? No problem - call it today as well.

Of course they'll be correct eventually and invited on to Bloomberg TV as the person that called the crash.

OK, fair enough. But the last 20 years have been a glorious time to invest in business and speculation with cheap borrowed money, Many people ignored past fears of debt and are now set for for life and better.

Those that just let there money sit in a bank or saved a little each month hoping they might get a few percent interest each year now regret it.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

If journalistic standards at bloomberg think it's news to predict a binary position will change the day before, instead of being able to predict ahead of time (bearing in mind it takes months to sell a property) when it will change, then I'm not sure they have enough viewers of importance to worry about. I don't watch it, so I have no idea of their standard.
  • phillw wrote: »
    If journalistic standards at bloomberg think it's news to predict a binary position will change the day before, instead of being able to predict ahead of time (bearing in mind it takes months to sell a property) when it will change, then I'm not sure they have enough viewers of importance to worry about. I don't watch it, so I have no idea of their standard.

It's a bit of an aside but it's worth a watch.

They're part of the financial industry which spends millions to convince Joe Punter that they're able to beat the market or, more particularly in this case, pay someone who thinks (wrongly in the main) they can.

You get 'bastions of industry' hauling themselves out of bed at 4am to do a selling job. As the channel is funded by these types nobody asks why they need to do this if they have all the answers. It's absolutely forbidden to call someone out for being wrong but they must receive a clap on the back for being right about something.

Happy faces all around if a company beats analyst expectations and sad faces if they don't. In both cases nobody is allowed to point out that the analysts were wrong.

Every 0.1% movement in bonds, stocks or currency can be explained. There's no such thing as randomness or noise.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Days of high wage growth and high inflation were far more rewarding.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's a bit of an aside but it's worth a watch.

They're part of the financial industry which spends millions to convince Joe Punter that they're able to beat the market or, more particularly in this case, pay someone who thinks (wrongly in the main) they can.

You get 'bastions of industry' hauling themselves out of bed at 4am to do a selling job. As the channel is funded by these types nobody asks why they need to do this if they have all the answers. It's absolutely forbidden to call someone out for being wrong but they must receive a clap on the back for being right about something.

Happy faces all around if a company beats analyst expectations and sad faces if they don't. In both cases nobody is allowed to point out that the analysts were wrong.

Every 0.1% movement in bonds, stocks or currency can be explained. There's no such thing as randomness or noise.

Sounds like you have quite an edge over most other investors there? Agree about Bloomberg, they are cheerleaders for the banks/markets, but on occasion there is a very informative or insightful guest interview which is worth taking some notes on.
  • Sounds like you have quite an edge over most other investors there?

Not really. It's Bloomberg that have to explain every 0.1% movement - not me.
    Agree about Bloomberg, they are cheerleaders for the banks/markets, but on occasion there is a very informative or insightful guest interview which is worth taking some notes on.

As long as the appropriate pinch of salt is taken then 30 minutes watching Bloomberg with a coffee before leaving for work is a better use of time than watching the BBC or reading newspaper websites.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not really. It's Bloomberg that have to explain every 0.1% movement - not me.

As long as the appropriate pinch of salt is taken then 30 minutes watching Bloomberg with a coffee before leaving for work is a better use of time than watching the BBC or reading newspaper websites.

Yes, I like to just dip in for a few minutes a couple of times a day, and stay tuned if there is anything of interest happening. It is at it`s best IMO when markets are red and falling as they get all freaked out trying to adapt their B.S.
  • Yes, I like to just dip in for a few minutes a couple of times a day, and stay tuned if there is anything of interest happening. It is at it`s best IMO when markets are red and falling as they get all freaked out trying to adapt their B.S.

A bit like you when house prices are rising?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure