Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

UK house prices see first September fall for nine years

worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 16 September 2019 at 11:46AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
UK house prices have witnessed their first September fall since 2010, according to a closely-watched gauge, as Brexit uncertainty continues to dampen sales.

The average price of property coming to market fell by 0.2 per cent in September, the house price index from real estate website Rightmove showed.

CityA.M.

Rightmove House Price Index

Average-asking-prices.jpg
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Any significance in being September?
  • I assume we will get similar sensational posts when house prices pick up 0.2% the month after?
  • London is also the reason for that number (duh), although the article does show some general slowing of the market:
    While the average annual rate of price increases drops to just 0.2%, this is buoyed by the north and dragged down by parts of the south. London has properties now coming to the market at an average of 2.1% cheaper than a year ago, with the South East region also in negative territory at -1.1%. All other regions have new seller asking prices up compared to a year ago, with the North West being the most buoyant at +3.5%.
    They could keep the way write consistent. 2.1% cheaper and then -1.1% elsewhere, etc.
  • This is just the start
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 16 September 2019 at 5:01PM
    I assume we will get similar sensational posts when house prices pick up 0.2% the month after?

Unlikely, unless it's the first October rise in 9 years too. :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • I reading this on housepricecrash.com and I fell about laughing, yet another thread of "Well sit back and watch the property market burn". What should bring about this joy and excitement? . House prices have fallen 0.2% in one month according to one of the most inaccurate indicies that use asking prices alone.

Well after two decades of waiting for a property crash and where property prices have risen anything up to 700% in some areas they now have their long awaited 0.2% fall, hope it was worth the wait for them, I wonder how many of us property investors over the last 20 years plus are now kicking themselves.
  • The-Joker wrote: »
    This is just the start

This is the sort of post I was talking about in my previous post. I have to thank you Joker, I was in sever pain today after my last triathlon of the season at Lake Dorey, but you have put more than a smile on my face.
  • The-Joker wrote: »
    This is just the start

You've been calling the start for a decade but, yes, this time it's on. Absolutely definitely. It's probably, maybe, click your heels together and wish upon a star certain.
  • UK house prices have witnessed their first September fall since 2010

Hardly surprising:

brexit and operation fear. Some people actually believe all that carp.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure