Council tax band challenge advice needed.

Hi I recently found out I could have been in the wrong council tax band, I decided to have a look into thinking it would be right, it seems it's wrong.

However proving it seems to be a challenge.

How do I go about finding local house price data from 1991?

My house is currently in Band C as are all the houses around me. However in 1995 my house was sold for £46000, well within Band B.

I've phoned the VOA and been told that's not enough that the sold prices need to be within 1991-1993, as land registry prices only start from 1995 this is going to be pretty hard to find!

I've searched rightmove for similar houses to my own and their prices within a 3 mile radius, there aren't many sold in 1995, but the majority are the same and within the £52,000 Band B threshold.


  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It's very difficult - local newspapers may be your best best.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    House prices fell considerably between 1991 and 1995 so Band C is probably correct.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools