Can CSA access my savings as I am currently unemployed and ineligible for benefits?

Hi,

I have recently been made unemployed and have taken this opportunity to try and learn full time forex trading online for the next 12 months. I am living off my savings, and as my savings are over £16k I am ineligible for benefits. I was hoping to come to an arrangement with my daughters mother regarding financial support, however today I have received a letter from CSA. Before I speak with them I am wondering if anybody can advise me whether they can access/seize my savings account as my earnings are Zero.

Any help would be greatly appreciate as I have tried looking online but cannot find anything regarding my situation.

Thanks

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The document below explains how the CMS calculates the maintenance to be paid.

The information on page 38 suggests that they can consider the interest you earn on your savings, and any profit you make from your self-employment as a forex trader. It appears that they cannot access your capital.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/672432/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2019 at 10:52PM
    Both the CSA and CMS, were and are part of the DWP. There is a data sharing agreement between the DWP and HMRC. The DWP could probably identify bank accounts through that gateway.
  • Your obligation to support your children doesn’t stop just because you want to change career.

I know that you won’t accept this advice but it needs to be given; you will not be able to make a living trading foreign exchange. There is no pattern that tells you where it is going next and unless you have customers who pay you a spread you’ll have no chance.

If you put enough of a position on to be able to generate a living wage you will also be exposed to losses big enough to wipe you out.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 September 2019 at 9:21AM
    I have recently been made unemployed and have taken this opportunity to try and learn full time forex trading online for the next 12 months.

One of the quickest ways I know to loose all your money. Anyone who believes they can make money at this probably also believes in unicorns.

However, if you want to persist, you need a plan to meet your obligation to your daughter in the meantime. Maybe a part-time job?
    Your obligation to support your children doesn’t stop just because you want to change career.

Absolutely. Some life choices close doors to others further down the line. If you cannot afford to 'retrain' and support your daughter then the option of the career change is not open to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure